Hazel Smith Giant Sequoia

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by fredmcain, Oct 23, 2017.

1. fredmcain

fredmcain Active Member

Does anybody on this forum know of a source for the cold-hardy strain of Giant Sequoia known as "Hazel Smith"?

I have contacted dozens of online nurseries and have turned up nothing but dead ends.

Is it safe to conclude that the Hazel Smith variety is just simply no longer available from anywhere?

Regards,
    Fred M. Cain

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

3. fredmcain

fredmcain Active Member

Daniel,

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately I'm already on that group and although I've gotten some good tips from them, they, too, turned out to be dead ends.

Regards,
    Fred M. Cain

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Seems like a cold-hardy giant sequoia would be a fairly desirable thing in cultivation. Well, perhaps someone will find this thread in the future and pipe up.

5. fredmcain

fredmcain Active Member

Yes, the closest lead that I've been able to find so far is the Iseli Nursery in Oregon. Sequoiadendron giganteum ‘Hazel Smith’ | Iseli Nursery

They evidently have Hazel Smith. Unfortunately they will not sell or ship to a retail customer - you have to be one of their nursery outlets. So, I told them that's fine, could they please direct me to one of their dealers or outlets in Indiana? They did not respond to that question. That is not exactly what I would think of as customer "friendly" service. So, in a sense this is just another dead end.

Crowfoot Nursery (also in Oregon) does not have Hazel Smith but he can get some. He wants to get some cuttings and start them. Unfortunately, he told me they will not be ready to ship until the fall of 2018! Not exactly a complete dead end but still a disappointment since I'd really love to get these planted.

Regards,
    Fred M.Cain