Calathea-yellowing lower leaves

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Nicole0426, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Nicole0426

Nicole0426 Active Member

I bought this plant at Lowes a few weeks ago. It was completely sopping wet when I got it home. I let the soil dry out for several days. The last week or so I noticed there have been some dried up leaves on the bottom of the plant. Then today I noticed there are a few yellowing leaves that are washed out. Do you know what the cause of this could be? Could this be damage from previous over-watering? Also there are a few brown spots on some of the healthy leaves is this a problem? There is some new growth and I have read that it is normal for lower leaves to die off as New Growth pushes out. Any suggestions on this plant would be great. I don't want it to die completely.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

It will always lose old leaves. And there may be a bit of time until you figure out exactly what it likes, or until it decides to deal with what you're giving it. Or until it gets over whatever its previous conditions were, particularly if there was root damage from overwatering. More likely, though, it dried out, and then was soaked so that you wouldn't realize it had been so neglected. As long as the new growth looks OK, I wouldn't worry yet. Feel how heavy the pot is after you water it, and then don't water it when it is still that heavy. I don't think they like to completely dry out, though. I would suggest keeping it out of direct sunlight. Mine is many years old, has made it though terrible overwatering and also neglect.

3. Nicole0426

Nicole0426 Active Member

That is great advice!! Thank you :)

4. Nicole0426

Nicole0426 Active Member

Hello again,

This is the latest on my yellowing leaves..the bottom leaves that were yellowing are curling up and half of the leaf is dry and has a rough texture. Do you think I need to move my plant to a different location?

Attached Files:

5. wcutler

That's how the bottom leaves die. Then the stem will get very thin, but will probably still be difficult to pull off - better to cut it off.
    Old leaves die on all plants. As long as you're getting new leaves to replace them, you're good.

6. Nicole0426

Nicole0426 Active Member

Okay, Thank you!

7. Nicole0426

Nicole0426 Active Member

So this is now the sad state of my plant :( Is there anything I can do to revive it? Or is it too far gone to save?

It was getting big brown spots on the leaves and I read that these plants do that when they don't get enough humidity. So I've placed a humidifier close by to the plant and I have kept it running for about a week and it hasn't seemed to show any improvements.

Attached Files:

8. wcutler

The leaves that look bad will never get better looking. It is only the new leaves you can be concerned about, and then not the very next ones. Just the ones that form after you make sure that you are not overwatering it or burning it from too much sun or too much fertilizer.