Taxus bacata maschio o Juniperus communis

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by duffy, Aug 25, 2017.

1. duffy

duffy Active Member

These 2 photographs were not taken by me but by a friend who gave them to me. I just don't know what to think! My first and lasting impression is that of Taxus bacata with male cones. The foliage is very similar to the Taxus growing in my garden, whilst the foliage of my Juniperus plant growing in my garden is definitely different. Unfortunately I haven't seen this tree. It is a pity that my friend didn't take a photograph of the entire tree, a close up of the bark and leaves. Can a member help me with this enigma? Many thanks in advance. I believe the tree was found at an elevation of 1000-2500 metres.

Attached Files:

2. Lila Pereszke

Lila Pereszke Well-Known Member 10 Years

Definitely Juniperus, not Taxus.

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Juniperus deltoides; a male plant. A recently-described species, formerly included in (and very similar to) Juniperus oxycedrus. Italian name: Ginepro rosso.

I'm assuming the photo was taken somewhere not too far from your location of Faicchio, Benevento, Italy; if it was taken in the far northwest of Italy (Piemonte), it would be Juniperus oxycedrus.

4. duffy

duffy Active Member

Many thanks Michael. Yes, the photo was taken in the mountains of Faicchio. It was very difficult to decide; I have had the photographs for quite sometime. What a relief to know at last.

5. duffy

duffy Active Member

Hi Michael, After checking Acta Plantarum and Flora Italiana on the web, including the 3 volume work of Pignatti, I find the Juniperus deltoides (R.P.Adams), N.G.Passal, exists in Italy only as a Ssp. of Juniperus oxycedrus, which incidentally grows throughout Italy, from North to South. In my area one can find J.oxycedrus, J. phoenicea and communis. I thank you for your information as you have helped me to arrive at the correct ID; Juniperus oxycedrus Ssp. Deltoides. May I enquire where you live in England? My home town is Peterborough which I haven't seen for 26 years.

6. duffy

duffy Active Member

Thanks again Lila. It would seem that it is Juniperus oxycedrus Ssp. deltoides.

7. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Whether you consider it a separate species (as Adams does) or a subspecies (as Passal does) is a matter of botanical opinion! Probably a fairly borderline case.