Monarda Didyma refueling a humming bird

Discussion in 'Botany Photo of the Day Submissions' started by Yo_Jo, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Yo_Jo

Yo_Jo Active Member

Hi Everyone,

I thought I would try a photo submission. I originally submitted one of the photos with my monarda question but I wasn't sure how to link the post in the webpage so I will do it the old school way - cut and paste the link.

Monarda Didyma Maintenance

IMG-20170809-WA0000.jpg IMG-20170809-WA0016.jpg IMG-20170809-WA0003.jpg
    These images were taken with an iPhone 7 Plus about 1 meter from the plant, sitting very quietly.

I was thinking that blooming time was almost over because the deck has been stained red with all the pedals falling off but it still seems it has more to offer this season.

I have been fascinated with how the birds and insects interacts with the monarda didyma plant. If the monarda evolved this way to feed the birds what is it getting in return for this service? Fertilizer during feedings?

Regards

Joe

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

That phone has quite the camera, doesn't it? Thanks.

3. Yo_Jo

Yo_Jo Active Member

Yeah the wife loves the iPhone 7 Plus. Nowadays even a non techie can take stunning photos. Just point and click.
    Sadly, most of the Monarda pedals have fallen off and all the hummingbirds have disappeared this week - I haven't seen any buzzing about.
    Perhaps they have all flown south for the winter or there is a really fat cat in the neighbourhood.

4. thanrose

thanrose Active Member 10 Years

Don't mean to be pedantic, but the birds and bees are pollinating while they are feeding on nectar. They go from flower to flower and fertilize them so they will produce viable seed. It's likely that they are covered in pollen dust from many flowers visited that day, and probably many species. Natural selection would be in favor of plants that attract the most pollinators. We humans stepped in and selectively bred for the various traits we liked.

Fertilizing during feeding is very uncommon in plant-animal partnerships. There are carnivorous plants and others like bromeliads that get a nutritional kick from their animal visitors but most flowers don't really get anything save a way to spread their genes.

5. Yo_Jo

Yo_Jo Active Member

Thanks for the info "thanrose" about a week after the flowers were cut back all the leaves started to develop a white substance that Keke diagnosed as powdery mildew. Eww Gross.
    If it doesn't survive the fall and winter I might have to buy a new Monarda in the spring.