Plants Identification Resources Discussion

Web sites and other resources with information related to or aiding in the identification of plants.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

wcutler submitted a new resource:

Edited: this has been split into two resource files:

Plants Identification Online Resources
    Plants Identification Written Resources

I've started this with links to remarkable collections of photos on Flickr, all photos named with several aspects of the plants shown. This resource is intended for links to websites or recommended books related to, or aiding in the identification of plants not covered specifically under their own categories on other sub-forums. It also does not cover Online Forums or Apps for Mobile Devices (see those separate Resource pages).

Discuss resources on the list here, and submit suggestions for ones to be added to the list.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
  2. duffy

duffy Active Member

According to FLORA Ď' ITALIA, VOL. 1 PP. 446 AUTHOR was Sandro Pignati. This 3 volume work is considered to be the only true and reliable BIBLE of Italian botanist. A must for all Italian Botanical gardens. I use this publication when absolutely necessary as it is extremely technical. I wanted to add the 5 volumes of Flora European by Tutin and others, but I fear it to be far too technical for a79 year old amateur botanist.

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

duffy, this says a new edition is in preparation: Flora d'Italia - NUOVA EDIZIONE IN PREPARAZIONE

Can you let me know if this means any revisions have been added or things like family names have been updated? (Sorry Elena to hijack your thread!)

4. wcutler

5. Andrey Zharkikh

Andrey Zharkikh Well-Known Member 10 Years

6. duffy

duffy Active Member

hello Mr. Daniel, I already own the new 2011 edition; I don't think it has been revised as Family names are unchanged ie: Asteraceae is still listed as Compositae, another case is Umbellifereae, Apiaceae isn't used etc. So really I would describe it as a non- revised reprint.

Giango likes this.
  7. wcutler

@Andrey Zharkikh and @duffy, these are two different Flora d'Italia. I have put both in the Plants Identification file.
    @duffy, I have some questions about the Pignatti work. There is a description of a desktop app in which Pignatti was involved, Flora Italiana Digitale, from OpenstarTs: “Flora Italiana Digitale”: an interactive identification tool for the Flora of Italy, which has a link to details in a pdf at https://www.openstarts.units.it/dspace/bitstream/10077/3767/1/Guarino et al, bioidentify.pdf. Are you able to find any such website or app that was actually developed? It says they had collected 80,000 images. The description looks wonderful.

Also, for the Pignatti work, it seems all volumes are available online, but so far I have found only questionnable download sites.

8. wcutler

The Search for IDs by characteristics thread has suggestions for non-hierarchical searches. Most of the useful suggestions have been added to the appropriate resource page.

9. duffy

duffy Active Member

Hi Daniel, Volume 1 of the new edition has just been released. I use the 2011 edition.

10. duffy

duffy Active Member

The 2011 edition of Flora D'Italia has not been updated. I believe that the latest edition has been revised. As soon as vol.1 is available I will buy it and I will let you know if it has been revised.

11. Lila Pereszke

Lila Pereszke Well-Known Member 10 Years

Hi,
    I would like to recommend these sites:

Croatian flora : Flora Croatica Database / Hrvatska flora / Flora of Croatia - great website about the flora of Croatia, contains more than 4500 species
    German flora: Artenverzeichnis - brilliant website about german plants (native and ornamental plants too), contains more than 4000 species with pictures and ID keys (hierarchical view: Systematik)
    Hungarian flora: Képgaléria - MAGYARORSZÁG FLÓRÁJA - hierarchical picture gallery, contains more than 2500 species

(+ Plant ID forums if someone is interested in the flora of Europa:
    German: Was ist das für eine Wildpflanze? - Pflanzenbestimmung
    Hungarian: Milyen hazai növény?)

12. wcutler

Thanks, Lila! I've added the first group to the Plants ID resource (link is at the top of this page). And I added the forums to the Online Forums resource page.