Long skinny cactus solutions

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Alex Greenall, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Alex Greenall

Alex Greenall Member

I have a medium sized barrel cactus that has been growing skinny (since December) which I understand is a sign that it hasn't been receiving enough sunlight. I'm doing my best to get it as much sun as possible but I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to help it.

Attached Files:

2. mandarin

mandarin Active Member 10 Years

The offsets have a chance of looking better with time (maybe), but the central stem does not. I think I would cut off the uppermost, thin part at the top, otherwise it will grow a broader section at the top, and there is a risk that the thin part will snap under the weight.
    Are there any recent signs of more normal growth? It should not produce skinny stems in June.
    Keep it dry, preferably at lower temperature, in winter to prevent it from growing.

Alex Greenall likes this.
  3. Alex Greenall

Alex Greenall Member

Thanks so much for your advice Mandarin.

It seems to be growing more normally now. If I cut off the top will it regenerate and potentially grow again (not skinny) or will that stunt the central stem?

Thanks again!

4. mandarin

mandarin Active Member 10 Years

It will most likely grow one or more (normal) offsets from the top if you cut of the skinny part.