Wildflowers id help

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Elena Regina, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Elena Regina

Elena Regina Active Member

Lazio, Italy, IV-2017 - Photo by Elena Regina - Thank you in advance for your help!

33279079174_a57397c786_z.jpg

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Was this a montane environment? I don't know if Thlaspi montanum occurs there, but it looks similar.

3. duffy

duffy Active Member

According to FLORA Ď' ITALIA, VOL. 1 PP. 446 AUTHOR was Sandro Pignati. This 3 volume work is considered to be the only true and reliable BIBLE of Italian botanist. A must for all Italian Botanical gardens. I use this publication when absolutely necessary as it is extremely technical. I wanted to add the 5 volumes of Flora European by Tutin and others, but I fear it to be far too technical for a79 year old amateur botanist.

4. duffy

duffy Active Member

I forgot to mention that the sp. montanum doesn'the have an entry in the above mentioned volumes. However, Thlaspi Montanum was only referred to under the section Thlaspi Alpestre. Thlaspi alpestre grows throughout Italy.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  5. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

duffy, this says a new edition is in preparation: Flora d'Italia - NUOVA EDIZIONE IN PREPARAZIONE

Can you let me know if this means any revisions have been added or things like family names have been updated? (Sorry Elena to hijack your thread!)

6. duffy

duffy Active Member

hello Mr. Daniel, I already own the new 2011 edition; I don't think it has been revised as Family names are unchanged ie: Asteraceae is still listed as Compositae, another case is Umbellifereae, Apiaceae isn't used etc. So really I would describe it as a non- revised reprint.

7. Elena Regina

8. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

The old names Compositae and Umbellifereae remain valid, even if not so much used now - so that can't be considered a reasoning for saying it is not revised. The editors may have taken the decision to retain them.
    As an aside - it is Noccaea (as given in the linked paper), not "Noccæa"; the Danish / Norwegian letter æ is not permitted in scientific names.

Elena Regina likes this.
  9. Elena Regina

Thank you! So, Noccaea montana?

10. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Sorry, I don't know if your plant is that or not, I was just mentioning the correct spelling of the name ;-)

11. Daniel Mosquin

Yes, given the elevation, I would go with Noccaea montana.