Where can I find Hoya plants?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Amin, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Amin

Amin New Member

My wife's new obsession is Hoya plants and I was thinking of getting her a few plants but I can't find them anywhere in Vancouver.
    Does anyone knows where can I find Hoya plants or cuttings to buy?

Thanks a lot,

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

3. Amin

Amin New Member

That's exactly the case. My wife doesn't like them and she thinks that they are cruel to the plant since they do that to them. So I was hoping I can find a place to buy a plant for her and not single leafs.

4. Junglekeeper

5. Hazec

Hazec New Member

I just bought a Hoya Carnosa Variegata plant today at Mayhew Sherwood Florist at West Broadway and Alma (kitsilano), for $7, it's a smallish pot but lovely foliage! They had a tray of them still

Amin likes this.
  6. Junglekeeper

Hazec likes this.
  7. judy33

judy33 New Member

anywhere in richmond sell hoya's does anyone know? only asking as im from the island and could get my inlaws to pick up from richmond or white rock

8. Junglekeeper

I would not be surprised if the same plants were to appear in your local Art Knapp Plantland in the near future as plant orders are delivered.

9. Velosh

Velosh Member

Hello. Are you stilllooking for Hoyas?

10. Amin

Amin New Member

She already got a Hoya Carnosa Variegata, but she is looking for more. Different types. Do you know where I can find more for her?

11. Velosh

Velosh Member

Hi Amin,

I currently have Hoya Bella. I think it's beautiful but it has no scent. None that I can smell anyways. When I got the plant about 10 years ago my online research lead me to believe that the plant is toxic if ingested. I was just looking it up again and now there seem to be mixed views. I've always told my any guests that touches and admires it to wash their hands to be sure.

Maybe we can trade plants.

I tend to like things that are unusual and/or rare :) . I actually have mostly orchids in my collection.

Hope you're having a good long weekend.

Attached Files:

12. Junglekeeper

13. Lorraine Leszczak

Lorraine Leszczak New Member

Interested in trading cuttings live in Alberta we would have to mail to each other soon.. winter around the corner

14. Junglekeeper

@Amin, Southlands Nursery - Home has a variegated variety with a green leaf margin surrounding creamy center with red highlights. The common variegated variety has a cream margin surrounding green center.

15. YCoelogyne

YCoelogyne New Member

If anyone is interested in acquiring unusual Hoya plants you can contact the Vancouver Orchid Society. They are having a spring orchid show on March 22-24th at VanDusen Garden. One of the vendors who will be attending the show, Mr. Joseph Wu, is offering Hoyas for sale as well as orchids, but you need to pre-order. The club has a list of Hoyas for sale as well as a contact address.

16. Hazec

Hazec New Member

I've tried contacting the society for the hoya list but have had to reply. If you have any other way of seeing it I would be interested.

17. YCoelogyne

YCoelogyne New Member

Dear Hazec,
    Perhaps you could find the list on the web site for Joseph Wu orchids. The contact I have is Fang-Ting Wu, email address is ft0212@gmail.com. Perhaps she can send you the list. The deadline for ordering is March 2. You will be able to,pick them up and pay for them at the VOS orchid show March 22-24. Payment is in US dollars. Most plants are in 2 1/2" pots ranging in price from $10-20. Write to the site again if you are not successful and I will try to find another way to get the list to you.

18. Jackie Quan

Jackie Quan New Member

Tgorchids might have some but with vivid, lots of stuff not available or sold out