Trying to find info on Acer Palmatum Hamana Nishiki

Discussion in 'Maples' started by willi2, Nov 8, 2016.

1. willi2

willi2 Active Member

I have the tag from the tree, but I cannot find anything online under this name. Is someone able to give me a push in the right direction? I've tried to attach a photo of the label but having difficulties. It says it is one of the Yatsubusa dwarfs....

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. willi2

willi2 Active Member

Found it...spelled incorrectly on tag. Should be Hanami

3. bub72ck

bub72ck Active Member

The garden in the attached video has a very mature Hanami Nishiki and they speak about it for a moment. A cool tree for sure.

emery and JT1 like this.
  4. willi2

willi2 Active Member

Thank you so much for posting this. That is a really eye opener as to mature size. Unfortunately, someone has been shearing it. I'm wondering if whether patience and proper pruning could bring it around....

5. Geezer840

Geezer840 Active Member 10 Years

I have a Hanami Nishiki that is at least 20 years old. It is not the hardiest of maples in our area and our area is rather temperate. It has a tendency to produce late summer growth and if followed by an early cold spell kills the branch tips. I've spend many hours in spring trimming off the dead branch tips.
    Spring and fall color are nice but not spectacular. The leaves are the smallest of any of my maples and upon close examination in fall are attractive.

Attached Files:

6. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Thanks so much for sharing! Just what I needed after 5" of snow and 95% more grey days than sun since November. Gives me joy and hope for Spring. Will watch again on my TV because my 5.5" phone screen is not enough!

Also a great interview with good information and even better pictures. I love my Ibo nishiki that is over 20 years old and would love to see the seedling named Pink by their granddaughter in about 20 years. To see that tree alone is worth watching the video.

I am glad to have found your post, I would encourage you to share it as a new thread and even in the maple resources!
    Made my day! Thanks!

7. bub72ck

bub72ck Active Member

You're welcome. Judging by your reaction, this video gave you the same happiness that the photos of your garden bring to me when it's cold and snowy outside. I have looked at your photos and watched this video dozens of times. Below is another youtube video from the same garden show that is only partially focused on JMs but still offers a ton of ideas and inspirations. If I find any other great videos on YouTube I will be sure to share them.

maplesmagpie and JT1 like this.
  8. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Thanks again for sharing another great video. Yes, you hit the nail on the head it did give me great happiness watching the videos. I am so happy to hear my photos and videos bring you happiness and that they are available for you to view when you have a moment of free time. We love sharing our garden in person and putting them on the web is the next best thing. I love to see the reaction of people from beginners to professionals. We rarely get feedback online, but the gift of sharing is most important to us. I always feel like a garden is meant to be shared, much like a good book. That is why we enjoy garden tours as an opportunity to meet new people, see their creativity, and experience their peice of paradise. Your sharing these videos has allowed us to enjoy that experience in the middle of Winter! Quite a rare treat on those grey and cold days.

These videos came at a great time for my wife and I. We have been "binge watching" them as she recovers from another heart procedure. A great escape like this feeds the soul and is a much appreciated distraction. Thanks again and please know how much this has helped us, we appreciate you sharing!

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  9. bub72ck

bub72ck Active Member

Awesome! Hope your wife has a speedy recovery. Looking forward to some updated pics of your garden this spring.

JT1 likes this.
  10. maplesmagpie

maplesmagpie Active Member

I hope your wife recovers well, JT. This is a good time to be recovering-- everyone will be ready to enjoy spring when it arrives.

JT1 likes this.
  11. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Thank you both for the get well wishes, I very much appreciate it! She is improving and looking forward to Spring too.