What happened to this plant?

Discussion in 'Plants: Science and Cultivation' started by toffeecoo, Nov 6, 2016.

1. toffeecoo

toffeecoo New Member

Hello! Below is a preview of what I'm trying to find out. I had a small cannabis plant growing beside a pepper plant. A branch of the pepper bush grew into it and was supported for a month or two like that. I went to move it and noticed the cannabis plant had grown mutated. It was a clone of a female, but the way the flowers are clustering resemble that of a male. It's leaves are glossier at the top single leaves (see the sketch overlay; the older/lower leaves have more fingers.) I have a much, much larger resolution of the image below, if anyone wants a closer inspection.

estranged%20plantsm_zpsorl1nf2y.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2016
  2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

There is a joke about Iron Man's girlfriend to be made here.

Sex in plants can be mutable, with gibberellin (a type of hormone) being responsible for the production of male flowers on otherwise female plants in cucumbers.

Your situation isn't rare. Several other growers of this particular plant species have seen this phenomenon. You can find a few of those instances using hormone changing sex of plants - Google Search

3. toffeecoo

toffeecoo New Member

thanks for that! Do you know if a sex change would also cause the leaves to change growth patterns?

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

No, but hormones certainly could.