Ponytail palm questions and info

Discussion in 'Caudiciforms and Pachycaul Trees' started by MrSlothy, Aug 2, 2016.

1. MrSlothy

MrSlothy New Member

Hey all, I'm new to the forum just thought this might be a good place to share some experience and learn a few things on everyone's favourite beaucarnea recurvata.

I have a few things going on at the moment with my beaucarneas but thought I'd start with a question.

I have 2 beaucarneas that are young, probably a couple of years apart. One is very much green and pretty much exactly what I would expect from a beaucarnea recurvata. The other is more yellow and red in colour and the leaves are perkier in the way they come out to the side rather than hanging down.

Anyone have an opinion on whether these are different varieties or perhaps just a variation in the way they have been brought up?

I considered that the yellow one could be a guatamalensis (if I spelt that right) however the leaves are still leathery and sharp on the edge.

Attached Files:

2. MrSlothy

MrSlothy New Member

Here is a picture of a monster just around the corner from my place. This is the biggest one I've seen yet!

Attached Files:

wcutler likes this.
  3. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

With fruits yet. That's very impressive, not that I've really paid attention to these before. A neighbour just gave me a houseplant one (green leaves), so I'm getting interested in them.

4. MrSlothy

MrSlothy New Member

Yes, it's winter here at the moment so the blooms are past their prime. I got interested in these when I saw one growing a few suburbs away and thought "what the hell is that" I've been obsessed ever since. I'll get a picture of that one next time I drive past.

5. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

The yellowish one could be a cultivated selection as well, chosen for yellow foliage.

6. MrSlothy

MrSlothy New Member

It will be interesting come the spring and summer to see if the yellow one remains yellow...

7. MrSlothy

MrSlothy New Member

Well what do you know, it is now 12 days into spring and my yellow ponytail is turning green... It is still a different shape but perhaps that is just age related...

Attached Files:

8. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Seriously, leaves that were yellow turned green? I didn't know they could do that. The red bits are nice.