A P 'Masukagami'

Discussion in 'Maples' started by whis4ey, Jun 1, 2016.

1. whis4ey

whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

I bought this tree some years ago because it was the only one in the Garden Centre that I didn't have. It has developed into a lovely shape and colour. I now quite like it.

Attached Files:

emery likes this.
  2. Geezer840

Geezer840 Active Member 10 Years

Very nice color and shape. And what is the tree to the left with the large green leaves and white around the entire parimeter of the leaves. Are the outer top leaves also green and white?

3. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Happened to see this so will answer: it's an A. platanoides 'Drumondii'. They revert very easily and it looks like this one has done so, maybe, but also some years they are less showy. If the completely green leaves aren't removed the whole thing quickly turns into a bog standard Norway Maple.

I drove through a village within the last few weeks with a whole alley of these trees, partially reverted.

-E

Geezer840 likes this.
  4. whis4ey

whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

Very little reversion on my original Drumundii whish is quite beautiful in full leaf. This one was new two years ago and has reverted almost completely. If I cut off the reverted leaves there would be nothing left LOL

5. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I've got two marking a fence opening, planted about 15 years ago, they don't revert much. I'm quickly up the ladder when I see green on them! ;) A neighbour has one, planted later, with only a single variegated branch. I wonder if they got diluted through too much forcing for propagation in more recent times.

They were super-popular in France for a while, and almost all of those trees have reverted, it's a real shame for municipalities to plant stuff like this and then not maintain it.

Nice Musukagami, Sam.