Maple leaves 'sweating'

Discussion in 'Maples' started by whis4ey, Jun 1, 2016.

1. whis4ey

whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

The leaves on many of my Japanese maples are 'sweating' this past few days (i.e. moisture on the leaves when it hasn't been raining or any dew etc etc) It has been quite warm here. Is this a sign that the tree is trying to cool itself down?? Would they be needing more water to compensate? Has anybody else any experience of this, or any wisdom to share on the subject??

2. maplesmagpie

maplesmagpie Active Member

Is it on the margins of the leaves? I had a young magnolia display signs of guttation. Supposedly trees aren't supposed to behave that way, but in reading more about it it seems that small trees and shrubs can sometimes do it.

Loss of Water-Guttation

3. Houzi

Houzi Active Member 10 Years

I've seen it many times but never really thought about it.I would imagine a warm,bright,still day(perhaps without sun to dry it out)may produce this.I see you've had the best of the weather in UK recently Sam,it's pretty awful here this week.

4. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Maybe a drunk stumbled into your garden on their way to the bathroom and did not make it...

On a more serious note, you should take a picture. Has the temperature and dew point spread been close together. Smaller traces can be caused by aphids.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
  5. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Awful down south yeh, come up north it's like Siberia here at present !!! with terrible strong winds at present, had to go round all the containers making sure they are all well pegged down. First day of June OK.

6. whis4ey

whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

I took a few pics today . ... more prominent on the reds than on the greens but it is apparent on all
    It hasn't really come out too well on the pics

Attached Files:

7. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

This can happen here when the dew point is in the upper 70's (f) and the overnight low is in the low 80's. The air is so satutated in late July that you can almost cut the air with a knife.

It can also happen when cool moist air moves across warm foliage or from orographic lifting by rising terrains. Just as a few examples.

I guess what I am saying is that its a weather phenomenon that is causing wet leaves.