Spring 2016

Discussion in 'Maples' started by AlainK, Feb 6, 2016.

1. opusoculi

opusoculi Rising Contributor 10 Years

This spring, i notice that Maples have an abundant flowering. Each bud, or almost, carries à flower; only the Maples from seeds taken in Japon 6 years ago do not flower.
    Perhaps is that resulting from the dry hot and long summer we had last year.
    I wonder i should not fertilize a little more those witch flower too much.

For to day, dominating bright red of the 'deshojo' and 'phoenix'.

Attached Files:

2. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

My maples are in various stages of developement, but it's true that a few bear many flowers, among them a "Phoenix (from air-layer) that flowers from the first time. I hope I can harvest some samarras in autumn ;)
    • Acer palmatum palmatum
    • Flowers of A. p. 'Phoenix'. In the background, A. p. 'Jerre Schwartz'. It's a pity I can't find the right moment for the right light: tha luminous pink of the 'Phoenix' on the dark burgundy red of the 'Jerre Schwartz' is really beautiful "in real life"...
    acer-div-palm_160406a.jpg
    acer-div-phoenix_160406a.jpg

3. reivax

reivax Member

This year is quite strange, without cold in winter, and maples sprouting 1 month before ..

A.p. Nicholsinii
    image.jpg

A.p. Elmwood
    image.jpg

Attached Files:

ROEBUK likes this.
  4. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Loving the Ap Elmwood very pretty, you are certainly more advanced with the warmer weather than myself here in the UK , don't think i will be at this stage for another three weeks at least very far behind at this present time, it's still quite cold in my area.

5. reivax

reivax Member

thanks ROEBUK , i'm happy that you like it. Yes, it's really beautiful, also it is not very common and that this what I like most..
    It is my first year with it and I am very happy couse it has a very nice colouring in spring.. It will give me more surprises in autum?
    Yes in Barcelona city, near to the coast, it is warm and the maples have awakened very early, in other areas inside country are starting now and my maples began a month ago ..

6. Houzi

Houzi Active Member 10 Years

Lovely pics. guys,as with Roebuk you're a bit ahead of me.the contrast looks great even in the pics. Alain.Today the wind was knocking off the vigorous new growth,but luckily only red non-cultivars.

7. ROEBUK

My Kashima is just about there another week and it will be fully opened, supprisingly a more lovely brighter orange this year, always my first tree out, the others have a way to go to catch up though :)

Attached Files:

8. Houzi

Still not much to show yet.Higasayama's been out for ages but just can't get a decent pic. of it camouflaged against the hollies.Jordan's been kept out of the sun as most of my maples aren't in their proper positions yet,so not the glowing yellow of last year.Shaina's getting there along with Sango Kaku.Beni Tsukasa's looking pretty though a bit early for the pic.(probably in my top 3 list)Finally Mikawa Yatsubusa,looking ugly because of the heavy staking.I'll keep the stakes in another year as can be seen in the before&after pics.the branches are under a lot of tension.

Attached Files:

9. ROEBUK

Houzi you have more to show than me !!! they seem to be taking an age this year,at least you have some foiliage on yours, my Sango kaku is still in the bud stage .Pic of my MY today and then the same tree on the 12/04/15 big difference, but this one was burnt with the frost last April so this might have something to do with it budding later? plus we have another frost forecast for this evening so i am not to worried about this one holding back.

Put a pic of my Sekka Yatsubusa just starting to bud out but it has the strangest growth of branches, just looks as though someone has flattened the ends of the branch with a mallet and there is well over 60+buds on both sides, have a few lower starting to unfurl which are very close together and gives a bunched up appearence , something different to look at again.

Think it will be well into May for mine this season.

Attached Files:

10. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

That's some fasciation and then some! I don't personally care for it, it sort of creeps me out (so to speak). But maybe you could graft it on if it keeps happening, like 'Miss Piggy' (or the older version whose name escapes me).

We're at nearly the same stage, maybe just a tad further along here. Some of the new plants from under glass are well advanced, but most of the established maples are only just bursting bud. We have a frost scheduled for next week, currently they're just saying it will touch zero, so hopefully not too bad...

Here are some flowers from A. monspessulanum, taken 2 days ago.

-E

Attached Files:

11. AlainK

It looks beautiful against the dark green of the hedge and has a nice shape too. Mine is about the same, whereas others leafed out when we had we had almost ten days of very warm weather in March, like a Katsura, always one of the first to come out of dormancy (picture taken March 16).

acerpkat02_160304a.jpg

Pictures taken this afternoon:
    • Momoiro Koyasan (with Orange Dream in the bkgd):
    • acerp-momiro_160415a.jpg
    • Jerre Schwartz:
    • acerp-jerre-schwartz_160415a.jpg
    • Phoenix (from an air-layer):
    • acerph02m01_160415a.jpg
    • Tsuma-Gaki (perhaps my favourite one in the spring):
    • acerp-tsuma-gaki_160415a.jpg
    • Emerald Lace:
    • acerp-emerald_160415a.jpg
    • Butterfly:
    • acerp_but01_160415a.jpg
    Among those that awaken early, there's also 'Little Princess' ('Mapi-no-machi-hime'). Here's one that I'm "training" as bonsai. The egg is for the scale, and the stone I found in my garden for the fun:

20160412190024-51a97115-me.jpg

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
    reivax and JT1 like this.
  12. ROEBUK

That's some fasciation and then some! I don't personally care for it, it sort of creeps me out (so to speak). But maybe you could graft it on if it keeps happening, like 'Miss Piggy' (or the older version whose name escapes me).[/QUOTE]

emery.. Added another pic of the Sekka must admit it is peculiar if you have never seen one before, but again different that's one of the reasons i bought this one had read about the "strange" branch and leaf cluster formation in various books, plus it has a very pleasing colour change as well.

Pic from mid January, it had been well cut back in 2014 then planted out last summer and there has been a remarkable spurt of new growth basically everywhere and this is where the "flattened" branch ends are appearing just adds a bit more variety to the garden :)

Just come back in from the garden, covered a few more trees heavy rain at present but soon to be followed by minus 1 or 2 degrees frost in the early hours of Sat morn for Yorks and maybe into Sunday !!!

Attached Files:

13. ROEBUK

Tsuma-Gaki (perhaps my favourite one in the spring):[/QUOTE]

Alaink must admit out of all my trees this is the one i am waiting to see in the spring, had been looking for one of these for years now, then finally managed to find one last summer, although it came from a large nursery and was kept under plastic the colours were a bit on the drab side, the foiliage was mainly green but there were quite a few of leaves that had kept the red edging for a while.

If the fall colours were anything to go by (stunning) if think this will soon become a favourite of mine this spring, well hardened off now in the garden and budding up nicely.

14. AlainK

Still got work to edit for tomorrow morning, but couldn't resist checking my trees in the late-afternoon light, taking photos, and posting them here ;-)

Momoiro Koyasan:
    acerp-momiro_160417a.jpg

Seiryu:
    acerp-seiryu02_160417a.jpg

Beni Komachi:
    acerp-beni-komachi00_160417a.jpg

Deshojo:
    acerp-deshojo_160417a.jpg

Dissectum - labelled as this, a gift from a friend (Aldi, 9.95 € ;-) )
    acerp-dissect_160417a.jpg

A few flowers:

Sango Kaku:
    acerp_sangok02_160417a.jpg

Atropurpureum:
    acerp_atro01_160417a.jpg acerp_atro01_160417b.jpg

Osakazuki:
    acerp-o-sakazuki_160417a.jpg acerp-o-sakazuki_160417b.jpg

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
  15. opusoculi

17°, and a small fine rain without any wind, one would be believed in Japan... Under weight of water the branches disclose their forms.
    Lettered japanese recommand to admire Maples right after a sweet rain. It is what i wish you.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  16. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Aratama is the first to leaf out in 2016. One of my little known favorites, often mistakenly dismissed as "just another shaina", but its so much better! Bought from Leuty nursery in Novelty, OH in Spring of 2015. Leuty Nursery is the best source for Japanese maples and conifers in the state. It's like having the best of Iseli nursery and Buchholz in your back yard.
    123554-d3d638cf853e0f81a6d4ef0fd8296108.jpg

Attached Files:

reivax likes this.
  17. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

I must compliment, your trees always look so well maintained and lovingly cared for!

Yes, I have found that aside from genetic differences, the main reason for heavy seed production is from a dry summer from last season.
    -If you are looking for growth and not seed production, remove the flowers, use a balanced organic fertilizer, and provide sufficient water so that the trees will push for a second growth or possibly a third push depending on your season length.
    -If you want seeds leave the flowers on the tree and provide sufficient water and maybe a little fertilizer. Water is important for seeds to mature, but too much will cause them to drop off before maturing. Note that when seeds are in production most varieties will not produce anymore growth for the season. All the energy goes to seed production.

18. opusoculi

A long sunny dry and hot summer is of course the primary reason of Maple flowerings. It is the same for fruit trees.
    The production of seeds is not my job and not having the intention opening a trade ... i prefer to remove them, even if it is long to make without cutting any leaves with the scissors.
    What was the occasion to notice that black plant louses where numerous on the bouquets of flower of 'pendula Julian'; they seem to prefer them to the final fresh buds !

Here, in South-Ouest of France, the temperature ascend rapidly in june, Maples do not make a second grow , or rarely; as for a third, with the hot of summer,
    one should not count here.

Thanks for your advice. Appreciate your délicate compliment.

19. Geezer840

Geezer840 Active Member 10 Years

JT1
    I have noted that my Amagi Shigure is the only exception to the prolific seed presence on my maples. It has been afflicted with Psudomonus Syringae and I wonder if that is the reason for the lack of seeds? I did use a copper spray in the fall after 80% leaf loss but wonder if there is a connection between the lack of seed production and the disease?

20. kbguess

kbguess Rising Contributor 10 Years

image.jpeg

My first successful maple graft. Acer shirasawanum 'Autumn Moon'

I think 9 years old now. It has suffered but finally in good location after 2013 move.

21. opusoculi

@Greezer
    Can be JT1 will have an answer more precise than mine.
    I did not observe flowers on any 'amagi shigure'. It seems to me barren as 'deshojo' and some others.

22. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I don't think there's a connection. Sometimes I see trees that have pseudomonas that are full of flowers.

23. AlainK

'Beni Hagoromo': there's no entry in the "maple cultivars" section of the forum, should I start a new thread?
    It is not listed in Vertrees so that might be a rather recent one (?)

acerp-benihag02_160427a.jpg

'Redwine': I bought it cheap in a supermarket in Britain so I can't complain, but with such a name I expected different colours. The red tinge of the new leaves is not spectacular, and it doesn't hold the red colour very long. It's nice though, but it would better fit a name like "Rosé wine"... ;°)

March 20, 2016:

acerp-redwine_160320a.jpg

April 27, 2016:

acerp-redwine_160427a.jpg

'Trompenburg': Ahhh, this one is a "red maple"!

acerp-tromp_160427a.jpg

... and 'Jerre Schwartz' too:

acerp-jerre-schwartz_160415a.jpg

'Tsuma gaki', perhaps my favourite one:

acerp-tsuma-gaki_160427a.jpg

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  24. Jaybee63

Jaybee63 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I have Beni Hagoromo, picked it up at Westonbirt. It really caught my eye and seems to be hardy with no issues. Like Hagoromo, the leaves are unique and it's easy to recognise.

Nice pictures

25. Houzi

Well most maples are still crammed together in various corners sheltering from the weather.Probably missing out on some of the spring colours as a result.New plants are still indoors,missing out on much needed light,when will spring arrive?
    Hopefully it looks like a small respite this weekend,though frost could still threaten.
    Whilst it's still got leaves,here's Shin Deshojo,finally planted in ground with Bi Hou....not such a dazzling display this year as I've half pruned it as it was getting too leggy&twiggy.
    BTW...That's a very colourful display you've posted on another thread Alain,they've 'weathered the storm' well :)

Attached Files: