Acer palmatum 'English Lace'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by maplesandpaws, Jan 30, 2015.

1. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

A red upright dissectum :) Supposed to be more upright in habit - like Seiryu - than a couple of the other newer introductions, though not quite as vigorous as Seiryu. Hopefully this will hold true; a lovely plant from Mr. Maple.

Attached Files:

2. maplesandpaws

Hopefully the color will last all season...

Attached Files:

3. Geezer840

Geezer840 Active Member 10 Years

Andrea,
    Here are a couple of pictures of my English Lace. Got it early spring of 2014. One picture is hoping to show the color and another the form.
    And thank you for your suggestion for the contact regarding my Amagi Shigure. I hope the recommended treatment works. So far it is faring much better than last year.
    Tom

Attached Files:

4. Geezer840

I see once again I have not properly attached my photos. Here's a second try.

Attached Files:

5. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

The pics are wotking for me both times, and I might add it looks very nice.

6. maplesandpaws

Geezer, how big/old was the tree when you purchased it (and from where)?

7. MapleSyrup

MapleSyrup Member

Does anyone have any updates on this cultivar - I expected it would attract more attention. Does it retain its red color nicely over the season? If so, it should be a real winner.

8. Geezer840

My English Lace retained color throughout the year. It has been in the ground for only one year so this will be the second spring. I'm looking forward to the spring color and will post a couple of pictures as it emerges. The growth of the tree last year was somewhat akin to the Seiryu. It is does not have dominant upright growth but is matching upright growth with width.

9. maplesandpaws

Rich color this spring. In KS last year, it went fully green by late June/early July, but a nice, deeper green - it would be a nice counterpoint to Seiryu both in spring and summer. So far growth is fairly upright, and color this spring is very saturated.

Attached Files:

10. Geezer840

Andrea, my English Lace was approximately the same size as in the pictures I posted. I apologize for not answering your question sooner but just went back to this thread and noted I had not done that. I got the tree from Sunnyside Nursery in Marysville WA. I was there this weekend and they did have about a half dozen English Lace but the largest one was sold. Mine has come out in deep red this spring and kept it's color through the summer last year. Here are pictures of the tree now and a closeup of the leaf color.

Attached Files:

11. Geezer840

If anyone has continued interest in English Lace here is a photo from today. It is a very attractive tree with somewhat more horizontal growth than upright. This tree is approximately 8 feet tall And about 14 feet wide. vertical growth this year is about18 inches and is the best in the past four years.
    The red color does not fade through the summer.
    A very nice tree but I’ve not seen any for purchase in my area for the last three years. image.jpg

AlainK likes this.
  12. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Acer palmatum 'English Lace ' is a maple that likes to keep low to the ground in my garden. Sometimes difficult to photograph next to my bark surface. It tends not to stand out that well hence my first photo in the maples photo gallery.
    It manages full sun with ease and has been in this position in my garden for the last 4 years.
    I will add more as time goes on.
    24th July 2020 is this photo after a nights rain.

Attached Files:

13. Acerholic

August 6th 2020 and extreme heat is forecast over the next few days, so I thought I would post photos of my dissectums before and after to show how they cope. This I feel can be useful for people considering buying a particular variety.

Attached Files:

14. Acerholic

August 24th 2020 and I am keeping the photo diary going the best I can. So much rain and tomorrow 70mph winds forecast. Will the leaves be there for October!!!??
    A few weeks on and another stalwart dissectum in my garden that never fails me.

Attached Files:

15. Acerholic

26th August 2020, the day after a very strong storm. (Francis). An update as requested. So many amazing colours now.
    So many reds appearing on my English lace now and the petioles are very bright this year also.

Attached Files:

16. Acerholic

10th September 2020 and my maples are now racing into Autumnal colours. So warm and sunny at the moment, it does seem a bit strange though.
    The transition from Summer to Autumn is a wonderful time IMO in the maple garden. And my English Lace is evidence of that.

Attached Files:

17. Acerholic

21st September 2020, the day before the Equinox and my English Lace is going through the changes.

Attached Files:

18. Acerholic

23rd September 2020 and the first full day of Autumn. We have lots of rain so the dissectums come into their own IMO.
    English lace was so pretty this morning, probably my favourite of the day in the garden.

Attached Files:

19. Acerholic

13th October 2020 and the change is very evident now on my English Lace. The leaves are so much more delicate at this time of the year IMO.

Attached Files:

20. Acerholic

16th October 2020, bright sun and my English Lace is very happy. A good year for this cultivar.

Attached Files:

21. Acerholic

22nd October 2020 and my English lace is now the bright Autumnal reds I expect from it now.

Attached Files:

22. Acerholic

6th April 2021 and not too bad at all after -3°C last night. But let's see in a few days time as it is getting worse tonight and tomorrow, when -5°C is forecast.
    English lace 180.JPG

23. Acerholic

25th April 2021 and in the cold morning sunshine, my English lace is breaking open to start it's journey fir another year.
    English Lace 201.JPG

24. Acerholic

23rd May 2021 and at last my English lace has now come out fully.
    It's been a long wait this year.
    English Lace 235.JPG

D97x7 likes this.
  25. Acerholic

24th May 2021 and yes it's only been a day, but I managed to get a close up of my English lace leaf after rain and wanted to share it.
    English Lace 237.JPG

D97x7 likes this.