Feedback on new Forum Software

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements and Feedback' started by Daniel Mosquin, Oct 15, 2015.

1. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Certainly not the first to point this out but looking through the Acer skutchii thread Acer saccharum ssp. skutchii (aka Acer skutchii) I notice that the links are dead, see post 10 from Michael F.

Also although pics are working somewhat better I was unable to see all the pics from Gomero's initial post when I looked at it just now.

-E

2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

The links will get fixed. The redirects for the changed URLs were lost when the new garden website came up; it's a known issue. You can replace the www with forums for these ones.

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

All www. links are _finally_ resolved and working properly.

emery and wcutler like this.
  4. wcutler

Even the old links to Botany Photo of the Day archives are working, though the new URL has a completely different format.
    (http://botanyphoto.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/archives.php).
    I'm totally impressed.

Is there a link on the website somewhere to the BPotD postings? I only found it because there was a link in a posting (and now there is one in this posting).

5. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

There should have been one a long time ago, but I guess the person responsible for it forgot. I'll mention it.

6. Geezer840

Geezer840 Active Member 10 Years

I follow a number of forums and noticed that when I receive a notice (e-mail) that a new thread was posted on a forum I am watching I click on the "view this thread" link. The link attempts to connect to the UBC site and usually does but I've noticed that quite often it does not. Waiting does not seem to eventually connect but I usually will not wait more than 30-45 seconds. When I just retry the browser I almost always connect immediately but have on rare occasions had to retry a second time. I have viewed network activity when the connection does not work and see no network activity. If I am the only one to report this issue it is possibly something unique with my technical environment.

7. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I also continue to have problems of the same nature as @Geezer840. Additionally the viewer has never worked correctly for me it often drops pictures. Even when I open a picture in another tab, it isn't uncommon for it to load partially and then time out. These problems have been there from the beginning of the xenforo switchover, more or less, though I've stopped complaining! Using Firefox 48.0.1 on OpenSuse 13.1.

8. Geezer840

When more than one photo is included in a post I can almost always view the first photo with no problem but rarely can view subsequent ones without opening multiple tabs manually.

9. Geezer840

Just wanted to confirm that the issue of not connecting to the web site is still occurring. I've noted that it is not specific to a particular type of device (mobile versus desktop computer) and usually will allow a connection when retried. I also noted that this does not seem to occur when many people are concurrently using the forums. Latest occurrence a few minutes ago showed myself and two others as the only currently logged in users.

10. wcutler

I didn't check this for a while, but I seem to have got a new build of Windows 10 last night on my desktop (not the newest, but newer), and it looks like a new version of Edge came with. I'd tried to force a reinstall of Edge a while ago, which just broke the browser, so I wasn't using it.

The favicon and notifications are there now. I guess I'll go back to using Edge.

I tried to order something for a neighbor using both Firefox and Chrome yesterday, and we had to go to her computer, Firefox, to get the size and colour she wanted to show up. It's ridiculous how different these things are on different computers.

11. Daniel Mosquin

I'm aware of the server speed issues. I will turn my attention to this again once the interpretative signage project is wrapped up. I plan to see what happens if we switch to nginx for serving images.