Stinkbug

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Apartmentgardener, Jan 5, 2016.

1. Apartmentgardener

Apartmentgardener New Member

I have finally identified an exotic-looking and at the same time creepy (to me) insect that I've brought into my apartment balcony garden, either from a purchased plant or a beach log (which I will never do again). I understand it is an imported Asian pest likely brought in on cargo ships. It isn't a huge problem; I see one about every couple of months inside my apartment, which I think appears when disturbed by the heat registers going on and off. So far I've been lucky not to have to kill one. Each time I've captured it and released over the balcony.
    Can anyone give me any advice? I'm worried about one of them carrying eggs leaving me with an infestation. Also, it would really freak me out to find one crawling over my face in bed. What should I look for? Am I doing the right thing by letting them go over the balcony. I'm hoping the cold will kill them. What can I do in the spring to get them off my balcony garden?
    Thanks.
    Christine

Attached Files:

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Looks like Leptoglossus occidentalis: Western conifer seed bug - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

From: HOW TO GET RID OF Pine Seed Bugs | Environmental Pest Control
    They come into my balcony every year, looking for shelter when it starts to get cold. I used to dispose of them but I haven't been doing so of late. I think they go back outside on their own when the weather warms up in the spring. Ladybugs behave in the same way.

3. Apartmentgardener

Oh, that's great news! Thanks, Junglekeeper. Really puts my mind to rest.

4. Minkybooodle

Minkybooodle New Member

5. Apartmentgardener

6. Minkybooodle

Minkybooodle New Member

They are everywhere here in northern Virginia during the changing season- last week actually- our house was covered in them by late afternoon everyday. I’m glad you haven’t had to see them since.

7. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

The insect the OP inquired about is not a brown marmorated stink bug. There is a diagram comparing the stink bug with the western conifer seed bug in the following document: Conifer Seed Bugs