Feedback on new Forum Software

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements and Feedback' started by Daniel Mosquin, Oct 15, 2015.

1. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

You don't have to click out of the box and back in the box. You can just type Liz and then click on the search button.

2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I'm on the Members page, find member, as I wanted the link to the member profile page. There isn't any Search button there, just clicking enter. I understand now that that I neglected to say I was on the Members page, and you're talking about the general search, which was the long way to do it (I mean it would be the long way if the short way worked) - to search for postings by that person and then click the member name to get the profile page.

On the Members page, it's reasonable enough to think you can search for a member, else why have it there. That's where the names that are subsets of other names are difficult to get to.

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Yes, that does help to know.

I find if I type in the name and hit enter quickly, it doesn't pull up the pop-up box and the search executes flawlessly. Otherwise, yes, I either need to select out and back in. Or, I can hit the up-arrow or right-arrow key and then it will search on the correct name.

This is something you should report to the XenForo staff, not something I can repair. It does seem broken compared to what it was previously: Is this how Searching Members is supposed to work ?

In fact, I can reproduce the behaviour on their board. Go to Notable Members | XenForo Community and you will see the user Peggy as one of the notable members. If you type in peggy in the search for members field, and don't hit enter very quickly, then it will default to some other username that begins with peggy.

4. wcutler

I can reproduce what you've reported on xenForo. But I'm not understanding what is different when I query Dan and get a dropdown box that starts with Dan, and includes Dan! and Dan007 but not any Daniels. If ours behaved like that, wouldn't I find Liz but not the Lizainmm or LizzyFaire? Or on their system, with there being only three (or who knows - there might be other Liz people I can't figure out how to query - that's why the browse feature was *so much better* than not having it), maybe it would have returned the other two.

So their system does return the exact match for Dan, but not for Peggy. I'm having trouble describing what its behaviour is.
    If our system behaved the way theirs does for Dan, would I have found Liz?

5. Daniel Mosquin

You identified it in the first post -- it only works sometimes. You can search for dre on their forums, and dre comes up first in the list of dropdown names. However, if you search for peggy, peggy does not come up first in the list of dropdowns, and is missing altogether. I would have said this is because there is no "dre someothername" as a user, but there is a "peggy someothername" as a user. But, the correct behaviour works on their forums for dan -- dan is the first search result, despite there being a "dan someothername".

In other words, something is broken. This isn't an instance where we need to figure out why, they just need to know it is a bug and they can figure it out.

6. wcutler

I'm not allowed to start a thread, so I replied in the one you referenced.

7. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Adding a space to the end of the username helps in both search boxes. The entry of a space dismisses the pop-up list. In the case of the thread/post search, one can then enter a comma followed by more member names. Trailing spaces are ignored by the search.

8. wcutler

Well, that was too easy. Thanks, Junglekeeper.
    What it doesn't do is return Liz as a hit. Actually, lots of the ones I queried did not get returned as a hit. At first I assumed that meant they weren't there, but then I realized I had to go through with the search and I would find the members.

9. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

You could also hit Esc or right-arrow to dismiss the pop-up list. This way you won't get an extra space.

10. wcutler

Yes, those work too. Thanks. I think we're back to obscure work-arounds now, but it is helpful to know what they are.

11. wcutler

12. Daniel Mosquin

Sorry, what's not working? The notifier of alerts on the favicon? That's from a plugin. Doesn't seem to be anyone else raising this concern on the plugin's discussion page: Live Update

Maybe something to do with the browser's security level?

13. wcutler

The favicon is not there in Edge. See my screen print in posting #93, which shows the gmail icon but not the ubcbg one. It does show in the other browsers, and the xenForo one shows in Edge, but not ours. It's kind of helpful to have the icon because of that alerts flag, which I can only get if the icon is there.

14. Daniel Mosquin

Ah, another rabbit-hole problem. So, this could be one of a few things -- one, the notifier being added to the favicon is somehow rejected by MS Edge. We need to test against another site that is using the add-on, and see if Edge works with that one.

The other potential problem is that there are a number of search results for favicon not being displayed in MS Edge. I may not have generated the favicon precisely how MS Edge prefers, though it happens to be good enough for other browsers.

Would rather try and find another site using the plugin first.

15. Daniel Mosquin

One of the people who have reviewed the Live Update add-on with these favicon notifications runs this forum: Physics Forums - The Fusion of Science and Community

If you want to, please visit that page and see if the favicon displays (I had to end up bookmarking a page to see the favicon, since they are using SSL)

16. wcutler

What about the xenForo forum site? Their favicon shows in Edge.

17. Daniel Mosquin

They likely don't have the add-on installed.

18. wcutler

And the UBC favicon shows in Edge.
    upload_2015-11-18_10-57-45.png

19. wcutler

I replied before seeing your reply. That's the alerts in the favicon add-on? I don't have an alert to check that. Maybe if someone would comment on the member list thread, I could check it.
    Going out now till late afternoon.

20. Daniel Mosquin

*scratch head*.

The forums site currently has the botanical garden's logo as the favicon. I haven't switched it for the main site, since that is all changing again with the new site. We need to compare apples to apples: two Xenforo-run sites with a custom favicon running the Live Update add-in. It is not a problem in Xenforo code. It could be a problem in the Live Update add-in code. It could be a problem with how I made the custom favicon.

21. Daniel Mosquin

All I need to know is when you visit the physicforums site, whether the favicon displays for you. It may not at first because they are running SSL, in which case, temporarily bookmark a page and see if it displays the favicon in your bookmarks menu. This is specific to MS Edge.

22. wcutler

23. Daniel Mosquin

I guess we'll have to find another, since that's not the same favicon I see there...

24. Daniel Mosquin

Uh, wrong physics forum that you tried. You should have tried the one I linked to in my post above. The one without the "The".

25. wcutler

Do you see a link in your note to me? I'm not seeing it - I just had to query it.

This one? This has it.

Physics Forums - The Fusion of Science and Community

upload_2015-11-18_12-59-7.png

I'm out again now.