Photo display problems

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements and Feedback' started by emery, Oct 28, 2015.

1. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Well I must say I am having continuing problems looking at pictures on the new forum SW. Is it just me? Just by way of example with Alain's latest post I clicked on the first thumb, then after a really long time it displayed (two thumbs in the bottom), but when I clicked the right arrow, the second thumb disappeared and the second photo wasn't displayed. After x-ing out I was able to display the second photo, which appeared immediately this time. If there are a lot of thumbs, like in Roebucks post, several of them don't display but will sometimes come up with a reload. All very frustrating and I confess if I wasn't very attached to the forum I probably wouldn't stick with it.

Anyway your photos make it all worthwhile, Roebuck your garden is looking magnificent and I probably shouldn't single anyone out, all of the photos are amazing this year.

Anyway uploading photos is much easier! Here are some more from me: AJ 'Kujaku nishiki', AP 'Chitose yama', 'Kujaki nishiki' again, 2 of rufinerve 'Albolimbatum', AP 'Osakazuki', A griseum in the garden, A pycnanthum, A shirasawanum ssp tenuifolium (called A. tenuifolium in Japan) and A. pentaphyllum, A. campbellii, the latter is a very strong yellow.

Attached Files:

2. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Same here: I had a lot of trouble displaying #4 in your list. Rather frustrating...

3. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

The pictures are working fine from here. The built in viewer can be a bit hit and miss but right-click and "open link in new tab" works every time.

(Great photo's everyone!)

4. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

emery... Have just looked at your pictures and had no problems!!! clicked on the first one which came straight up,then just clicked on the side arrow to move from one 'TH' to another and they all worked fine,but then went on to another thread and had the usual problems of nothing appearing,tried maf's suggestion of right clicking and 'opening in a new tab' but again nothing happened for me.

Left alone for a few minutes and came back and was able to enlarge the pictures but coulndn't move them on using the side arrow strange!! but it still does works eventually.

Beautiful pictures as usual , liking the A.pentaphyllum looks a very pretty cultivar, just wish a few more people would upload pictures everybody must be in the same situation colourwise now, by the way emery hope you have a 'ride on' for your lawn !!! would hate to have to push my little Honda over yours :)

5. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I have copied these comments from Autumn 2015 pics. Better to discuss forum software here, and leave the Maples thread for discussing the trees.
    @Daniel, would you like me to move the postings from the Feedback thread to here (copy ones that have more than one subject in the posting)?

6. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

The problem is inconsistent. Image #7 would not load when I first viewed the images but worked fine when I tried again sometime later.

Also shift-click ctrl-click or middle-click/wheel-click.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  7. wcutler

I don't understand the wheel-click - for me that opens some on-screen scroll button, even though it scrolls anyway, but shift-click works, didn't know about that. When you're in the viewer, the button at the upper right, to the left of the X - it says "Show in Original Location" (and now has a mouse-over saying "Open in new window") - opens the photo in a new window, like the shift-click from the posting thumbnails.

8. Junglekeeper

My bad. I meant to say ctrl-click to open in new tab. Shift-click is, of course, open in new window.

Wheel-click may mean different things depending on how the wheel is programmed. In my case I may have changed it to mean middle-click at some point. middle-click translates to ctrl-click. Check the setting in your Mouse control panel.

9. wcutler

A guy from xenForo is having no problems on our system on Apple devices. Is anyone who is having problems using Apple devices? Is anyone not having problems (I guess you wouldn't be reading this thread, but I'll ask anyway) and what are you using?

Ctrl-click doesn't do anything for me at all, either from the posting thumbs or the viewer thumbs.

10. Junglekeeper

Yesterday's Tests
    Test #1: Image #7 failed to load.
    Test #2: Waited a period of time, perhaps one hour. Worked perfectly.

This morning's Tests
    Test #1: Worked perfectly.
    Test #2: Cleared browser cache. Images #3 and #4 failed to load.
    Test #3: Cleared browser cache then set size to 0 (no cache). Image #3 loaded partially; image #4 failed to load.
    Test #4: Set browser cache back to normal. Waited some 15 minutes. Images #1 and #4 failed to load.

Inconsistent results.
    Did he use the viewer under various conditions, similar to what I've done?

In the meantime I suggest pinning a message in Forum Announcements and Feedback to notify users of problem with the lightbox viewer and to use alternate means when an image fails to load. That is, view the image in a new tab or window.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  11. wcutler

Done. I made it a closed posting, with a link to here for comments.

@Junglekeeper, you're on an Apple machine, comments were a reply to that question?

12. Junglekeeper

No, I'm on a Windows machine. Sorry for the confusion.

13. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Ok, maybe this is resolved now. I've altered some settings on the server and database. In both Chrome and Firefox, I've opened up image-heavy posts and scrolled through the images using the image viewer and had no pauses or loading issues on any of them (tried 200+ in each browser, usually I managed to hit a slow-loading or no-loading one within 50). Very quick, in fact (the forums are quicker overall now, I think).

14. wcutler

I hate to reply that on the photos in this thread, on Firefox, 3 and 5 are not loading for me. In Edge, it's 3, 7 and 10.

15. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I would clear the cache and try again for this thread. Your browser may have stored incomplete versions of the files prior to the changes.

16. Junglekeeper

Test #1 (Viewer): Image #4 failed to load.
    Test #2 (Inline): Images all loaded.

Cleared cache.

Test #3 (Viewer): Partial load on image #2; #4 failed to load.
    Test #4 (Inline): Partial load on images #4 and #6.

17. Daniel Mosquin

Wow, I don't know. Cleared my cache in Chrome, zero problems with 200+ images across threads in different forums.

Time for me to head home, sorry.

18. wcutler

I haven't been on Chrome since last week when it seemed to have been down; had problems with 1, 4 and 5 in the photos below.
    I cleared cache in Edge; 2, 4 and 5 didn't display from photos below.
    In Firefox, cleared cache, problem photos are 2, 4 and 5

@Daniel, you were on site; is there some extra hoop we external people have to go through to get to the file location?

19. Daniel Mosquin

I am having issues at home, so maybe it was a two-pronged problem that is half-solved.

20. ROEBUK

Have tried viewing numerous pictures today ,all to no avail even old ones that came up eventually after trying over a period of days do not seem to want to enlarge for some reason, very frustrating !!!

21. ROEBUK

Now when i click on a picture even mine i am getting the following message: " The following error occurred" highlited in red then "Security error occurred" = Please refresh the page and try again.
    Any ideas anyone what's happening now ??

22. Daniel Mosquin

And now? (I only need one person having a problem to confirm that a new configuration has not changed anything)

23. wcutler

In this thread, in Edge 2, 4, 5 and 6 are not enlarging in the viewer.
    In Firefox, only 5 and 7 are not enlarging.

24. Daniel Mosquin

Clear cache in one of those and try again?

25. wcutler

Firefox, 1, 5, 6 of the photos in this thread not displaying. The second time around, when I clicked 6, 1 came up.
    I got a bit lost, found the thread again (duh, I was in it, just like I said), went back to the beginning and tried again, 5 and 6 not displaying (enlarging from the viewer). I typed this, went back, still 5 and 6 are the only problems. It's funny that the last three have reliably behaved well.