Autumn 2015 pics

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Schattenfreude, Oct 17, 2015.

1. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Well I must say I am having continuing problems looking at pictures on the new forum SW. Is it just me? Just by way of example with Alain's latest post I clicked on the first thumb, then after a really long time it displayed (two thumbs in the bottom), but when I clicked the right arrow, the second thumb disappeared and the second photo wasn't displayed. After x-ing out I was able to display the second photo, which appeared immediately this time. If there are a lot of thumbs, like in Roebucks post, several of them don't display but will sometimes come up with a reload. All very frustrating and I confess if I wasn't very attached to the forum I probably wouldn't stick with it.

Anyway your photos make it all worthwhile, Roebuck your garden is looking magnificent and I probably shouldn't single anyone out, all of the photos are amazing this year.

Anyway uploading photos is much easier! Here are some more from me: AJ 'Kujaku nishiki', AP 'Chitose yama', 'Kujaki nishiki' again, 2 of rufinerve 'Albolimbatum', AP 'Osakazuki', A griseum in the garden, A pycnanthum, A shirasawanum ssp tenuifolium (called A. tenuifolium in Japan) and A. pentaphyllum, A. campbellii, the latter is a very strong yellow.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  2. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Same here: I had a lot of trouble displaying #4 in your list. Rather frustrating...

3. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

The pictures are working fine from here. The built in viewer can be a bit hit and miss but right-click and "open link in new tab" works every time.

(Great photo's everyone!)

4. emery

Thanks Maf, that's a good work-around. Kind of a pain but glad there's a reliable way. Yes the viewer is what I've been trying to use, and I imagine this is true for most users, left clicking a thumb is pretty much a reflex. It never occurred to me to try right clicking! (whacks self in head and exits stage left).

5. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

6. ROEBUK

emery... Have just looked at your pictures and had no problems!!! clicked on the first one which came straight up,then just clicked on the side arrow to move from one 'TH' to another and they all worked fine,but then went on to another thread and had the usual problems of nothing appearing,tried maf's suggestion of right clicking and 'opening in a new tab' but again nothing happened for me.

Left alone for a few minutes and came back and was able to enlarge the pictures but coulndn't move them on using the side arrow strange!! but it still does works eventually.

Beautiful pictures as usual , liking the A.pentaphyllum looks a very pretty cultivar, just wish a few more people would upload pictures everybody must be in the same situation colourwise now, by the way emery hope you have a 'ride on' for your lawn !!! would hate to have to push my little Honda over yours :)

7. Atapi

Atapi Well-Known Member

Hi Emery, such a beautiful falls color JMs that you have there.
    BTW, which one is the Osakazuki (image 1005 or 1018)? and how old is it?. Tks, steven

8. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

@maf @emery @AlainK @ROEBUK , I have copied your comments to a new thread in the Feedback forum: Photo display problems. I thought it would be better to keep this thread for the trees, so please put other photo-viewing comments in that thread.

9. emery

Thanks Wendy!

Roebuck I looked through my photos but unbelievably I don't have a photo of my lawnmower. Still thanks to the magic of the interweb, here it is!
    $_86.JPG
    Far and away the best lawn mower I've owned, bought used but built like a tank. And an important addition to the autumn pictures!!! :)

Steven, Osakazuki is 1018 in the above photos. It was planted as a small tree in 2006, I'd guess it's probably 12 or 13 years since it was grafted. This tree has the slow form of verticillium wilt. In 2011 and again in 2012 I did major surgery and lost maybe 1/3 to 1/2 of the tree. It has come back to this point and for now seems completely clean, although who knows what the future will bring. I have had sick trees that seem OK but then collapse. But for now this Osakazuki is a poster child for how much enjoyment even a damaged maple can bring!

-E

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2015
  10. ROEBUK

Now we are talking.....Big boys toys, could spend many a happy hour on that!! wouldn't feel that i have to mow the lawn , but i need too anyway !!! :)

11. opusoculi

opusoculi Rising Contributor 10 Years

Lovely sunny days , 24° in afternoons, but air is too dry 45% for leaves. We had also a hot windy period ending five days ago , 50 and 70 KM/h , (vent d'Autan) continuously blowing during a week; so most of leaves have been sadly dried .
    But kamagata is safe .

Attached Files:

12. Schattenfreude

Schattenfreude Active Member

With Christmas fast approaching, I thought I'd share some pics of my leaves this fall. We've enjoyed milder weather than normal so I was able to see many trees actually change before a hard freeze. Most of these pics were taken this past week, ca. November 25, 2015, before rain (and then freezing rain) fell. Needless to say, the leaves dropped rather quickly thereafter. The trees themselves, as a whole, weren't necessarily pretty but certain branches or leaves did stand out.

Pics from today include:
    • Ed Woods #2
    • Hupps Red Willow
    • Kamagata
    • Koto No Ito

Kevin in KC

Attached Files:

13. Schattenfreude

Schattenfreude Active Member

A few more autumn pics from these trees:
    • Koto No Ito
    • Koshimino
    • Orange Dream
    • Pendulum Julian
    • Takinogawa
    Kevin in KC

Attached Files:

14. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Great photos to everyone! Thanks for sharing and making the 2015 Autumn pics so beautiful. Here is a link to our new Fall photo album on Flickr:
    Fall Garden

15. AlainK

Thanks for sharing these beauties...

Two days ago, I was sitting at my desk, in front of my screen, and when I turned my eyes to the window, I saw a last beam of light illuminating this plain Acer p. outside...

Attached Files:

16. opusoculi

opusoculi Rising Contributor 10 Years

Alain, il y a le feu dans ton jardin ...

Here is the end .

EDIT. Erratum : sekka yatsubusa is not dissectum.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
  17. emery

Here is the end from my garden, although surprisingly there are still a couple of liqudambars going. Here is A. schneiderianum, which stayed green and lush until we finally got a hard frost last week
    . IMG_1654_v1.JPG IMG_1664_v1.JPG
    And also A. pictum 'Hoshi yadori'. It was cut back hard this summer to get rid of non-variegated parts, so the late growth stayed for a long time. Curiously the species A. pictum loses leaves very early otherwise.
    IMG_1657.JPG

-E

18. AlainK

As you said, surprisingly there's this Acer palmatum palmatum that still keeps most of its leaves, and this Acer buergerianum too... On Decemlber 11th, I've never seen that before!

Attached Files:

19. AlainK

Le feu de la passion sans doute ;-)

The previous message shows the same tree today, under a very dull late afternoon light, and yet, it's still beautiful, isn't it?

20. whis4ey

whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

I raised a query on this (picture size) which has been moved. I find it very irritating and hope that the problem can be resolved soon

21. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Please discuss system issues in the Forum Announcements and Feedback | UBC Botanical Garden Forums forum, not here in Maples. Here are some threads on photo display in the Feedback forum:
    Picture size (whis4ey's thread)
    Photo display problems (the main thread for the display issue)

The affect of photo upload size would be a system issue, affecting everyone, not just Maples readers, and any comments here would be outside the main discussion.

22. whis4ey

whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

The only forum I visit here is the maples forum. My only concern is the irritation of not being able to view pictures in the maple forum. My query is in relation to pictures in the maples forum, and how it affects members in this forum. You seem to think that I am annoyed because my query has been moved?? I am annoyed because I can't view pictures in the maples forum.
    This particular thread came to my attention after I had posted my own query, and, contrary to what you say Wendy, there seems to be quite a bit of discussion about picture size here, in this forum.
    I now see that it is not just me with the problem, and that it is in hand to be dealt with.
    As far as I am concerned that is the end of the matter.

ROEBUK likes this.
  23. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Last edited: Dec 25, 2015