Autumn 2015 pics

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Schattenfreude, Oct 17, 2015.

1. Schattenfreude

Schattenfreude Active Member

Welcome back, everyone! Please post your favorite fall pictures in this thread. Sadly, mine are all still green.

Kevin in KC

Daniel Mosquin likes this.
  2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Thanks for starting this thread -- one thing that bothered me about not having the forums up and running is that the maples forum members always post this great thread in the autumn, which I look forward to very much!

opusoculi likes this.
  3. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

There have been a few in this thread:
    Good news , we turn over a new leaf.
    I don't think our colours in Vancouver have been all that good this year - leaves seem to have dried up before colouring up. Maybe some folks will take up the challenge and prove me wrong.

4. opusoculi

opusoculi Rising Contributor 10 Years

In south-ouest of France , colouring up is in the beginning. Ueno-yama is a classic keeping light yellow leaves during six weeks.
    This 'dandy dancer' grows slowly in clay and under 3 old Birch-trees.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  5. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I took some pics yesterday but haven't had a chance to go over yet. In the meantime here is the lovely A. truncatum 'Akikase nishiki' from 15 Sept. It is one of the earlies and is now quite leafless.

-E

Attached Files:

6. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

A few pictures of the JM in the beautiful Autumnal British sunshine today.

1. sharps pygmy 2.viridis 3.karibo 4.coral bark 5.palmatifidum
    This year is without doubt the best i have seen colourwise with the JM since i started with them over ten years ago, tried alot of different growing and site placement techniques this season and they have certainly paid off with amazing colours, will be starting a thread later about light and shade and what the effects have on certain JM certainly suprised me this year.

Could someone let me know if these pictures are enlarging when you click on the thumbnails, i seem to be having problems? sometimes they enlarge then sometimes nothing!! could this be a file size issue?
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

maf likes this.
  7. emery

@Daniel Mosquin I have also noticed this problem, it seems there is a long delay before you see the first image. I thought at first it was downloading all the images before displaying anything, now I'm not so sure.

Gorgeous pics Roebuck!

8. ROEBUK

Thanks for the info re the picture loading, at present i can only see the Viridis and Coral bark pics when i click on the thumbnails,they are all on the bottom of the page and will highlight when clicked on but no enlargements will happen except on the two mentioned.

9. emery

10. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

They all worked for me the first time, but I've noticed the issue on other threads. I suspect there is a server or caching issue. I plan to investigate this today.

11. ROEBUK

Can see all my pictures now, the 1st and the 5th were the last to appear, but noticed that when i went into another thread and clicked on the picture nothing came up, i then came out of that thread into another one and the picture came up of the previous thread which i couldn't enlarge originally.
    Seem's like some type of delayed responce in enlargement, but it does come eventually, teething problems which no doubt will all be sorted out shortly

Still a great new look though!!!

12. Daniel Mosquin

Yes, maybe the changes in configuration I made this afternoon will resolve this.

13. ROEBUK

More pictures of various cultivars over the last two weeks, most are sadly leafless now until next year!! still have quite a few to change yet so the colours will still keep going till mid November.

Attached Files:

kalod and opusoculi like this.
  14. ROEBUK

There were three more pictures that should have been in the last thread but you can only upload ten files now, so here are the final three.
    Mirte and Toyama nishiki these were my favourite cultivars this season the TN had eight different colour shades in the leaf, the last pic is of the same tree exactly one year ago, note the difference you get when you place them in the right spot (or not), light and shade give them this and you will keep them happy!!

Attached Files:

kalod and opusoculi like this.
  15. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

True colours!

The colours on those that weren't sun-scorched are outstanding this year. I'm just back from a few days away, I left just when the forum was back again, and here's a picture of one of my potted Acer discolor:

119563-cd26ca98fd75be9274230e06d16e58a1.jpg

These are really the true colours, see the laurel in the background, the Malus 'Evereste' in the top-right, etc.

I haven't unpacked yet, but I couldn't resist taking a photo of my "jungle" and sharing it before doing anything else. The Zelkova in the far background, the Metasequoia on the right have fantastic colours too. On the left, under the light orange of the 'Sango Kaku', the 'Butterfly' displays its almost mauve hues:

119564-a5df3dc850488e1acb799846a4a2999a.jpg

Attached Files:

16. AlainK

Acer p. 'Beni Hagoromo" (bkgd: Acer p. 'Sango Kaku')

119573-d5f4bb49eaf83ec4e7e623cc6d4cd4fe.jpg

Attached Files:

ROEBUK and Schattenfreude like this.
  17. opusoculi

@ROEBUK . YourToyama nishiki is a tree of genius , it inspire me.

palmatum arakawa , first movement "alegretto ma non tropo".
    I got it 12 years ago (one year graft), no scortching, no wilt, pruned in march, container 80 L , each season i move it in best places.

The red part had been fully exposed to the sun during last week , the yellow part was not ...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
    ROEBUK likes this.
  18. ROEBUK

opusoculi... That looks stunning !! the one good thing about having JM in containers is we can move them to where we think they will thrive best,and then they can show us the beautiful colours during the fall.
    Glad you liked the TN it certainly has been an eye opener this season, the colours have been amazing to watch changing over a two week period.

19. emery

Here are a few from last week:

AP 'Pink Filigree', AJ 'Vitifolium', A. platanoides 'Prigo' (front to back)
    'Vitifolium' leaf
    'Vitifolium; and 'Pink Filigree' with AP Chitoseyama just starting and A. saccharinum turning in background
    AP 'orangeola'
    A. pictum
    A. sieboldianum
    AJ 'Aconitifolium'
    AP 'Ariadne'
    Acer x conspicuum 'Silver Vein' (probable)
    A. rubrum

Attached Files:

opusoculi and ROEBUK like this.
  20. opusoculi

arakawa two days after and suddenly this morning hiroha-momiji (from seed, 6 years).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 24, 2015
    ROEBUK likes this.
  21. ROEBUK

It's marvelous to see them change colours so rapidly over a very short time spell, most of my container trees are just memorys now until next year. But it's good to look now at at the branch structures and see how they have progressed from last year, see who needs pruning and tidying up for next season.
    Few pics of Oregon sunset, Sharps pygmy (first time in eight years it's ever changed colour) then a couple of Pendulum julians in different shade/light areas, then finally most of my ground trees in full flow still waiting for a couple to join in the change.

Attached Files:

22. AlainK

What a beautiful garden! Absolument magnifique.

Wonderful pics, thanks.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  23. ROEBUK

Glad you like Alain most of my older trees are now begining to settle down and are starting to produce good colours in the fall, which brings me around to another group of pictures. Three dissectums firstly which are well in to the change now. Tamukeyama, Pendulum julian which just seems to be 'glowing' at the moment, and finally one of the Seiyru's i know theres not long left of the season when these start to change.

Finally a Osakazuki , Deshojo and Red wine which has performed quite well after it's first year in the ground.

Attached Files:

opusoculi likes this.
  24. opusoculi

Wonderful , so much marvels !
    I have not Pendulum and i am interested in . I fear they don't support hight temperatures in summer. Heat tolerance is important for growing here. Any advise ?

With Ozakazuki , no leaves scortch at all. I got it 9 years ago, it grows inclined, i prune it each march to obtain that form.
    It is a great satisfaction when 5 years old children coming for holidays applause ...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  25. AlainK

Acer p. 'Emerald Lace'. It gets the sun from 12 to 5 PM, and I'm surprised by how it can stand the sun: compare with the leaves of a 'Garnet' tah can be seen in the top left (22 July / 27 October)

Attached Files: