Summer leaves at their best now

Discussion in 'Maples' started by ROEBUK, Jun 23, 2015.

1. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Not sure Roebuck, I would imagine there is a limit to the number of pics per post but I don't know for sure, or whether the limit is 18. There is a possibility that the forum is likely to be changing to different software in the not too distant future so things like this will be liable to change.

Liking your pictures btw!

2. maplesmagpie

maplesmagpie Active Member

What a fantastic collection of dissectum photos!

3. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Thanks maf will bear this in mind if i up load another large group,more pics of ones i missed out from yesterday, and a full shot of my mystery tree.

Has very pendulous branches with the leaves in cluster forms,would be grateful if anyone can shed any info?? stays this bright red all through out the season.

Goshiki shidare
    Ellen
    Pendulum julian (shade colours rich olive green)
    Mystery dissectum???

Attached Files:

4. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

The mystery one is an unusual colour for sure. I've never seen a dissectum that looks like that.

5. maplesmagpie

maplesmagpie Active Member

Whatever it is, it's quite beautiful. Is it that color all summer? Did the nursery you got it from have any idea at all? I wonder if you could look back at what they ordered or offered that year to see the possible cultivars?

6. ROEBUK

Spent the best part of yeterday evening trying to work this one out logically.

Bought this in the summer of 2008 and when bought from the nursery as mentioned he had no idea what it was,the actual nursery was and stiil is only a small two person concern,two or three acre site at the side of a main road, sales office was and still is a garden shed so i don't think they will have records.

Remember that i had never seen so many 'Emerald lace' trees before in one spot literally dozens of them and not one decent one amongst them, got the impression that they seemed to buy lots of old stock from maybe larger garden centres/growers that couldn't sell much so they just off loaded surplus unsaleable stock to the smaller guys.

Any way found an old picture going back to the time i bought the tree as you can see the quality of the pic is not to clever,but you can make out it's more of a greeny bronze colour back then, still in the same pot i placed it in all that time ago think it's due a re pot at the end of the year :) So bearing this in mind it was in a sheltered spot when i bought it so it only had a few months with me in the light before the fall,and ever since it's kept in a sunny location and always comes out in varying degrees of red.

So taking this into account and reading all manner of books and trawling the internet the closest match i can get it to is a 'Dissectum Stella Rossa' fits the description perfectly,very pendulous growing more outward and creating a more dome shape,plus it follows the colour scheme and leaf pattern exactly.

What ever it turns out to be i still like it and it gets better evey year shape wise, the branch which i had to remove because it was split has completely been covered now with new growth from the remaining branches filling in the gap,always amazes me just how quickly the J/M can heal and re grow.

Attached Files:

7. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Well there have been a lot of beautiful pictures in this thread, but that is an absolutely cracking group of dissectum shots Roebuk. Thanks, a real pleasure! -E

8. ROEBUK

Thanks emery, think you might have guessed that i do like the odd dissectum:) they just give you so much to look at. This season up to press has been fantastic for them and everybody else for that matter, great growth rates with super leaf colours and very little leaf scorching what so ever, can't wait for the fall, which brings me on nicely to a few more pics of leaves which are already starting showing early colour changes.

Hogyoku
    Mirte
    Ki Hachijo
    Sango kaku
    Acontifolium
    Kogane nishiki

Attached Files: