Acer tegmentosum

Discussion in 'Maple Photo Gallery' started by Gomero, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Acer tegmentosum (section Macrantha) has beautiful large leaves, size 12-15 cm. It is thought to be the Asian equivalent of Acer pensylvanicum. Adult size quoted as being about 4-6 m depending on local conditions. Bark clear green,white striped. Great understory specimen.

Gomero

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

>Adult size quoted as being about 4-6 m depending on local conditions.<

Seattle arboretum has one 14.02 m high.

3. Andre

Andre Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

What do you mean by "Asian equivalent" ? Is it exactly the same tree and if yes, why do they have different names ?

4. Laurie

Laurie Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

"Maximowicz described this species in 1857, but Wesmael (1890) placed it as a subspecies under Acer pensylvanicum, to which it is rather closely [related] (e.g. inflorescences, flowers and fruits are similar), but A. tegmentosum is definitely a distinct species. The two are geographically widely separated, and the blue bloom is absent in A. pensylvanicum, but always present in A. tegmentosum. Very good specimens, both male and female, grow in Seattle at the University of Washington Arboretum."

Van Gelderen, D.M. et al., Maples of the World (Timber Press 1994).

I did not know that male and female were on different trees. Photographs:

Acer tegmentosum - UWBG Washington Park Arboretum, Seattle, accession 1949. Buds and late summer growth - October 2005; flowers/seeds - April 2006.

Attached Files:

5. Laurie

Laurie Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Acer tegmentosum - UWBG Arboretum; accession 1971. Lower branches sweep down close to the ground, which seems atypical for those species in Section Macrantha, or even other specimens of this species in the Arboretum; a beautiful tree.

Attached Files:

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Three similar ones are AA. pensylvanicum, rufinerve and tegmentosum.

7. maplesmagpie

maplesmagpie Active Member

Chicago Botanic Gardens, near the side of the Shoin House in the Japanese gardens. June 2015

Attached Files:

8. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Thanks, I had a look at: "http://my.chicagobotanic.org/horticulture/garden-tours/virtual-tour-of-the-shoin-house/", a beautiful place.

NB: "Tokonoma" in a traditional Japanese house is not (only) "the place dedicated to meditation" for samurai.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokonoma

9. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

"Manchustriped?" Surely, "Hidden Maple" or "Manchurian Striped Maple", but Manchustriped? Hmm. :)

Anyway seemingly not a very easy maple to grow, I've had a small graft for a couple of years that is just putting on a bit of growth, but is very prone to chlorosis, as in the first pictures posted here.

Very similar indeed to A. pensylvaticum.

-E

10. AlainK

Once established, it's rocketting!

September 2016 (the year the seed was planted), March 2017, and today. It was repotted in a bigger pot (13 cm) this spring and some roots are already trying to escape...

acer-teg_160908a.jpg acer-teg_170313a.jpg acer-teg_170625a.jpg

11. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Yes they grow very quickly! I had a mislabeled batch of A. davidii seed that is pretty clearly tegmentosum (or at least tegmentosum hybrid) and they are indeed rocketting with enormous leaves.

Some surefire ways to tell tegmentosum from pensylvanicum: The latter is always 3 lobed without the small basal lobes. Also tegmentosum shoots are covered with a fine bloom the first year; hence the name "hidden" actually means the stems are hidden with bloom. Pensylvanicum never has the bloom. But it is true that the overall aspect of the 2 maples is similar.

12. AlainK

I'm still perplexed.

It was much too hot for me to be outside -- 31°C and it's going to be more in the coming days! Note the American punctuation, huh huh -- private joke ;°) So I had a look at the pictures from the sub-forum Acer tegmentosum

The first photos show very similar leaves, except that they have some basal lobes that are more apprent, but the colour is almost the same.

As I said, I'll go back in Autumn, and this time I'll take a photo of the tag.

And follow twhat the doctor says : keep in the shade, don't do sport between 12 and 17 (hours), drink water and... stay cool.