Burnaby

Discussion in 'VCBF Neighbourhood Blogs' started by Mayling Chang, Mar 16, 2008.

1. Blossomfollower

Blossomfollower New Member

Many Akebono trees in full bloom in South Burnaby right now. McKay Ave between Carson to the south & Irmin to the north is my favourite (well worth a visit right now!). Here are a couple photos from today (April 2, 2014).

The third photo is from Dow Ave, which runs parallel to Mckay a couple block east. The trees on Dow run from about Rumble south to Portland (some gaps between trees).

Akebono are also blooming on Waverly and Nelson Aves (between Imperial & Rumble approx). The fourth pic is a very quick distant shot looking up Waverly from Rumble.

There is also a nice group of Akebono blooming in a little park at Rumble and Gilley (fifth & 6th photos).

Akebono also blooming on Clinton east of Royal Oak (as mentioned earlier).

Also a nice group of smaller trees blooming on McGregor near Ewart (last two photos).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  2. riderlude81

riderlude81 New Member

Snapped these photos on my Iphone. Its located @ Gilley Ave. + Dickens St. Burnaby

Attached Files:

3. riderlude81

riderlude81 New Member

Snapped these photos by Imperial St. + Randolph Ave. in Burnaby. The entire street is full of these trees. and lots of people come here to take pictures at this time of the year.

Attached Files:

4. katti4893

katti4893 Member

Cherry blossom

Willingdon&Cambridge

Attached Files:

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Re: Cherry blossom

'Akebono'.

6. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

katti4893, thanks for posting those! I went to add them to the map, and am pretty sure from what I can see on Google StreetView that this photo was taken on Oxford looking east to Willingdon.

But I did find other 'Akebono' on Cambridge east from Carleton for one or two blocks. Can you post a photo of those (Post Reply to this Burnaby thread)? And please can you tell me, are they the same type of trees running for both blocks on Cambridge, Carleton to Rosser?

I'm pretty sure there is a nice 'Shirofugen' on Cambridge, north side, just east of Rosser, which should be in bloom in another two weeks. If you see that in bloom, it would be great to have a photo here of that too, and I'll add it to the map.

7. katti4893

katti4893 Member

wcutler,Two photoes took on 4401 Oxford St. and I took just one between Willingdon&Cambridge face to east.Cheery are blooming on(Cambridge &Willingdon) to (Cambridge&sea to river bikeway).

Attached Files:

8. wcutler

katti4893, wonderful. Markers for both streets are on the map now. Thanks for posting them.

9. yaletowner

yaletowner Active Member 10 Years

Beta Ave

At the BC Dairy Association office on Beta Ave opposite the BCAA Offices with its grove of blooming pink Kanzen's, this single Ama-no-gawa tree stands out.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  10. wcutler

Re: Beta Ave

This is an old 'Ama-no-gawa'. Actually, I was trying to be cute, but it's not really all that old; it's just not so young.

11. yaletowner

Re: Beta Ave

Yes, that was one of the four possibilities I saw looking through the book but the book photo of the blossoms threw me off a bit. A different blossom for me vs the usual Akebono, Rancho, Kanzan and Ukon in my neighbourhood. Should probably go and check the Schmidt cherries near the Hornby seawall although they might be almost done now.

12. riderlude81

riderlude81 New Member

Forget to post this a week ago. Its located @ 17th Ave between 2nd St and 4th St in BURNABY. The photo was taken on April 9th 2014.

Attached Files:

13. riderlude81

riderlude81 New Member

Also from the same street. As soon as the Akebonos starting to disappear, these white cherries started to bloom.

Attached Files:

14. yaletowner

Sardis - Central Park

These bloomed nicely again this year but are now done but one block west, there is a couple of nice 35+ year old Kanzans just starting to bloom with a lone Akebono across the street now in bloom.

Attached Files:

15. riderlude81

riderlude81 New Member

Some Kanzan trees by HighGate Village (upstairs) by Save On Foods @ Kingsway + Hall Ave. Took some quick photos after grocery.

Attached Files:

16. Blossomfollower

The kanzan along Neville between Royal Oak and Gilley are in full bloom (already noted on the map, but thought I'd post a couple recent pics). Between the Kanzan there is the occasional shiro-fugen.

Attached Files:

17. Blossomfollower

A group of shirotae (I think) beside Oyama Sushi (restaurant in a heritage stone house) on Kingsway at Royal Oak (you can eat by the east windows and look out into the blossoms)

Attached Files:

18. Blossomfollower

Several kanzan at Royal oak and Rumble (by the Chevron station). One or two have the original white cherry blooming with the kanzan blossoms (in the first photo you can see how the white cherry has outgrown the kanzan grafted to it, so there is a fully grown white cherry with some kanzan branches).

The third and fourth photos show a group of smaller kanzan trees by Glenwood School at the corner of Gilley and Marine Dr. (also with the white cherry blossoms on one or two trees).

The final two photos show a group of shiro-fugen (I think) at the corner of Patrick and McGregor (south Burnaby)

19. billyhunter

billyhunter New Member

Burnaby is so beautiful.

20. riderlude81

riderlude81 New Member

Some more Kanzan cherries just outside of Second Street Community School @ 16th Ave. and 1st St. From both directions you can either go down to 18th ave heading north or down 15th ave. all the way to 11th Ave. heading south. Lots of these are blooming and you can see them from very far.

21. wcutler

The trunk on that first tree is so interesting, particularly since the flowers off the front bit seem to be 'Kanzan' like the rest.

22. riderlude81

riderlude81 New Member

More Kanzan behind the Mazda Dealer area. It stretches down all the way from Rusell Ave+Nolan St to Bryant St.

23. wcutler

Two Ismaili centres in Burnaby, both with parking areas planted out with 'Kanzan' cherries. The first is on Curle Road, just south of Canada Way. The fourth photo is the overflow parking area on Kulyk.
    20140501_KalykCurleIsmailiOverflowParking_Kanzan_Cutler_P1050861.jpg 20140501_CurleIsmailiJamatkhana_Kanzan_Cutler_P1050862.jpg 20140501_CurleIsmailiJamatkhana_Kanzan_Cutler_P1050863.jpg 20140501_KalykCurleIsmailiOverflowParking_Kanzan_Cutler_P1050864.jpg

The other centre is on Sprott, between the freeway exit and Kensington. This photo was from April 27. There isn't any attention paid to these trees - there are a lot of them, and they're mostly in poor shape.
    20140427_KensingtonSprott_Kanzan_Cutler_IMAG1216.jpg

The freeway exit was closed on April 27, so in circling around from the Kensington exit to where we needed to be, we found another parking lot planted with 'Kanzan' cherries. This belongs to the International Union of Operating Engineers building across the street on Ledger Ave.
    20140427_LedgerCanadaWay_Kanzan_Cutler_IMAG1213.jpg 20140427_LedgerCanadaWay_Kanzan_Cutler_IMAG1212.jpg

24. Blossomfollower

This large kanzan is in the middle of Alta Vista Park on the south end of Royal Oak (at McKee). I meant to take a photo earlier when it was more fully in bloom, but didn't get a chance until yesterday.

Attached Files:

25. jtremblay

jtremblay Active Member

There are about a dozen Autumnalis Rosea cherry trees in bloom now on Georgia street (between Willingdon and MacDonald). Sometimes there are 2-3 trees together, then you to walk a block, and there'll be 2 more together. It`s like this over 4-5 blocks.

It's my first time posting. Since there are about 12 trees on the street, do I have to label all of them individually for the google map (that will be a lot of work!) or can Wendy post them on the map as one group?

20150128_georgiawillingdon_autumnalisrosea_tremblay_DSCN5374.jpg
    20150128_georgiawillingdon_autumnalisrosea_tremblay_DSCN5484.jpg
    20150128_georgiawillingdon_autumnalisrosea_tremblay_DSCN5379.jpg