Dreaming of Spring...

Discussion in 'Maples' started by JT1, Feb 6, 2014.

1. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

I happened to come across some photos I took last Spring of our front garden. That really got me dreaming of Spring. I love the fresh colors of the Japanese maple leaves during Spring. The bright colors of Fall can be quite spectacular too, so for some its hard to say which is the best season. But, the most drastic garden contrast is by far Winter and Spring.

Like a home improvement show that shows before and after transformations, I thought it might be fun to show Spring and Winter transformations. Maybe you will share some of your photos too. Here is my front yard durring Spring and how it looks now from some photos I took the other morning in Winter from our front windows:

Quite drastic. If you would like to see larger, higher quality versions of these photos, you can see them on my Flickr page- http://www.flickr.com/photos/japanesemaplegarden/

Please share your Spring / Winter transformation photos.

Attached Files:

2. jacquot

jacquot Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Nice walkway! I love the spring colors and can't wait to see them. We've had a very harsh winter, as you have, and I hope everything comes back well.

3. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

JT, in the first picture, what is the lime green/chartreuse smaller conifer on the right? The one behind the two smaller mounded shrubs (the rust and light green)?

4. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

jacquot - Thank you! Yes, I too am more than ready to see those fresh colors of Spring after this tough Winter. Truthfully, the pathway kind of worked out. The main focus of the design was to give the appearance of one bed of landscaping across the front when viewed from inside our house (from the picture window), but the curves from the two beds made for a neat pathway or garden entrance from the street sidewalk. Its always nice when things just work out like that!

maplesandpaws- That is Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Fernspray Gold'. Its unusual fern like foliage adds a nice texture. It also does a good job of holding its yellow color year round. Then the inner or shaded foliage is that nice chartreuse color. My wife loves and collects ferns, so this was a perfect match for us. It was locally grown by Klyn nursery. Mine only grows a couple inches a year, but I have seen some incredible specimens (monsters) come in from Oregon at some local garden centers, I had to do a double take. So growth estimates are 6-12" a year, but I just don't see that kind of growth in my climate. Mine gets full sun about 90% of the day, its easy to grow, and once established it does not need much attention. Here is what Iseli has to say about it. http://www.iselinursery.com/index.p...sa-fernspray-gold&catid=40:conifers&Itemid=77

5. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

To every thing there is a season, turn, turn, turn...

I find the winter view has a stark beauty of its own, different but of its time. England is experiencing a winter of almost constant rain, many areas experiencing floods, kind of makes me wish for some snow instead...

6. Aisya

Aisya Member

JT,

First many thanks for sharing your beautiful garden!

I love plants covered in a decent fall of snow lol Image 4.

Can you tell me please what the dwarf Acer is called, thanks? Image3.

7. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Thank you for your kind feedback. The dwarf in 3.jpg is Acer palmatum 'Corallinum' from Buchholz Nursery. It was further along in Spring color than the rest of the garden, because it was a new addition last Spring and leafed out early in the greenhouse before we picked it up. I look forward to seeing the full color progression this Spring.

Our 'Corallinum' is a low graft, making it a bush like tree. I have seen some with a high graft for a more traditional tree form. Both are very nice, but for the location in our landscape the low graft was a better fit for us.

Here is another snow picture of our Atrolineare covered in snow from our living room window. It made for a nice morning cup of coffee with the beauty and additional privacy from all the snow cover.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014