Oakridge

Discussion in 'VCBF Neighbourhood Blogs' started by Joseph Lin, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Joseph Lin

Joseph Lin Active Member 10 Years

Re: Oakridge-Takasago?

I found one Takasago like tree at 187 West 48 Ave.. Most of the flowers are fresh and beautiful. I found the other two trees at 263 & 388 West 48 Ave. between Cambie & Columbia St. on April 11.

Most of our Takasago are withered, but not these three. Most of them have 15 petals, some of them have one phylloid pistil, no hair on pedicles and no hair on the slight bronze-green leaves.

They do have most of the features of Takasago, eg. tree trunks and branches with lichens, most of the corymbs of 4 pink flowers arranged whorlly on branches, dark pink buds, 4 cm in diameter, 1 cm peduncle, 2.2 cm pedicel, no serration, and almost green sepals.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
  2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Here's a 'Shirofugen' street tree on 48th at Columbia, across Columbia from the tree Joseph photographed in the preceding posting. I'm demonstrating that the two trees are in bloom at the same time, which makes it difficult for his tree to be called 'Takasago', which are the first of the mid-season trees and are nowhere else in peak-bloom now.

Attached Files:

3. Anne Eng

Anne Eng Generous Contributor 10 Years

Re: Oakridge-Takasago?

Regarding Joseph Lin's Takasago-like tree at 187 West 48 Ave., it looks quite similar to a tree that was at Quebec and W. 38. I took these shots on April 30, 2008, which was the same bloom time as the Ukons in that year. I didn't post them to Riley Park's neighbourhood since the tree looked sickly and has now been cut down.

Attached Files:

4. wcutler

'Kanzan' are in bloom all over the city. This looks like at nice spot at Langara - I guess the students are too busy to laze around and enjoy it. Forth-ninth Ave is lined with 'Kanzan' for miles. It's a nice driving route right now.

Attached Files:

5. Dingren

Dingren Active Member VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

In April 2009, we took picture of these two giant accolade cherry trees on Ash St. near the Safeway parking lot (Oakridge Mall). Yesterday, we went to check the flowers only to find them gone and replaced with two small plants. For whatever reason, it is a great pity!

Dingren & Martin

Attached Files:

6. wcutler

The festival favourite 'Whitcomb' on Ash all along between 45th and 49th, at Tisdall Park, are still looking splendid. They're on the west side of the street. Lining the block on the east side are plums.
    20110327_Ash45th_Whitcomb_Cutler_P1080917.jpg 20110327_Ash45th_Whitcomb_Cutler_P1080919.jpg 20110327_Ash45th_Whitcomb_Cutler_P1080920.jpg

Over at the lane west of Oak St at 45th is another group of six 'Whitcomb'. They're small, so I originally thought they were young, but they're looking rather wizened.
    20110327_45thOak+Whitcomb_Cutler_P1080925.jpg 20110327_45thOak+Whitcomb_Cutler_P1080926.jpg 20110327_45thOak+Whitcomb_Cutler_P1080927.jpg

7. Joseph Lin

Joseph Lin Active Member 10 Years

The Whitcomb cherries bloomed 50% at East of Tisdale Park this afternoon.

Attached Files:

8. Sue Wagner

Sue Wagner Active Member VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

And here is a closeup of the Whitcomb blossoms which are opening. I love the colour of the calyx and sepals.

Attached Files:

9. wcutler

This group of 'Whitcomb' on 45th just west of Oak is in bloom, at just about the same stage as last year at this time.

Attached Files:

10. Anne Eng

This group of 7 rather spindly-looking Whitcombs is in bloom at the corner of field area for Osler School, north side of West 45th Avenue just west of Oak on March 19, 2013.

Attached Files:

11. Anne Eng

The Whitcombs of Tisdall Park are in bloom March 19, 2013; twenty trees along the west side Ash Street from W. 45 to W. 49th Avenue, and two more inside the park near the corner of Ash and W. 49th.

Attached Files:

12. wcutler

Nice photo, though - it looks like there might be extra petals on some of the flowers in that photo.

13. wcutler

Continuing my trip on foot and transit down Cambie (see the South Cambie thread), here are two not yet reported 'Akebono' on the south side of 41st at Cambie, in front of a building that might be part of Oakridge Centre.
    20130402_41stCambie_Akebono_Cutler_DSC07356.jpg

Back to the Cambie median, 'Snow Goose' are still marching down the street, these just south of 41st.
    20130402_Cambie41st_SnowGoose_Cutler_DSC07353.jpg

And 'Akebono' outside the shopping centre, seen from the food court.
    20130402_Cambie43rd_Akebono_Cutler_DSC07357.jpg

14. Anne Eng

The two Ichiyo trees at South Van Manor (west side of Alberta Street, south of W. 49th) are starting their bloom on April 13, 2013. They have more flowers than the Ichiyo trees on Vivian Drive (Victoria-Fraserview). The two Ichiyo trees on W. 41st and Willow (South Cambie) are even further behind.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  15. Anne Eng

The Shirotae at the back of South Van Manor (west side of Alberta, south of W.49th) is just past its peak bloom on April 13, 2013.

Attached Files:

16. Anne Eng

Beautiful Kiku-shidare tree in yard at SE corner of Laurel Street and W. 42nd, in full bloom on April 13, 2013.

Attached Files:

17. Anne Eng

The three beautiful trees of Yokihi in bloom on W. 48, at the NE corner of Columbia, then continuing westward, on April 14, 2013. Thank you, Joseph, for finding them.

Attached Files:

18. wcutler

This photo does not do justice to the leaves on what I think must be 'Beni-shidare' on the east side of Hudson north of 57th. This is a young tree, with a pretty skinny trunk, but its reach is very wide.

Attached Files:

19. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

Excuse me my ignorance but what kind of tree is it? I did a quick search on the Net to find out that 'Beni-shidare' refers to Acer palmatum. The tree on your picture doesn't look to me like Acer. So what is it?

20. wcutler

Sorry, Sundrop. This posting is in the Vancouver Cherry Blossom Festival forum, under VCBF (Vancouver Cherry Blossom Festival) neighbourhood blogs. All postings in this forum are ornamental cherries unless described otherwise. I realize it's easy to miss that when you're looking at the list of all new postings from all the forums (just like important information only in the subject line of an email is easy to miss), but we do just refer to cultivar names here.

The complete name for this would be Prunus subhirtella var. pendula ‘Beni-shidare’).

21. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

Thank you Wendy. Yes, I didn't pay attention to the name of the forum the post is in, only to the title of the thread. Mea culpa.
    Since we are at it, what is the difference between ‘Beni-shidare’ and 'Yae-Beni-shidare'?

22. wcutler

"Yae" means double, so the 'Beni-shidare' (pink, though I think "beni" really means red, weeping) flowers have five petals, and 'Yae-beni-shidare' flowers have lots more petals. The trees look pretty similar. 'Yae-beni-shidare' blooms around a week later. I'm just guessing that this one is going to have single blossoms and will be pink. Its shape reminds me of a much older 'Beni-shidare' in town.

I'm hoping a Cherry Scout will check this out next year and post it in bloom so I can add it to our map.

23. wcutler

I found a new 'Whitcomb' location, on 46th east of Montgomery. Two trees nicely framing the entrance path to a house. I'm not sure if they're street trees or were privately planted, as there are no sidewalks on this block.

You can see that these trees are not open at all, except for some flowers here and there. I'm posting them to get them on the festival map, but we could use a photo when they're in bloom.

Attached Files:

24. wcutler

Another new 'Whitcomb' location: a private tree on the west side of Willow south of 42nd. This is a lovely tree, and I don't even have to say "for a 'Whitcomb'". It's not in perfect condition, but it's in pretty good condition and has been left to take its own shape. It's definitely a contender for the nicest 'Whitcomb' in the lower mainland.
    20140313_5855Willow43rd_Whitcomb_Cutler_P1010517ps.jpg 20140313_5855Willow43rd_Whitcomb_Cutler_P1010522ps.jpg 20140313_5855Willow43rd_Whitcomb_Cutler_P1010524ps.jpg
    It looks like it's got an extra petal on one of the flowers at the upper left.
    20140313_5855Willow43rd_Whitcomb_Cutler_P1010521ps.jpg 20140313_5855Willow43rd_Whitcomb_Cutler_P1010526ps.jpg

This tree is quite a bit farther along in blooming than the one I posted yesterday; I also stopped at 45th and Oak to see the group of trees just west of Oak and they're hardly blooming at all. Yet a scout told me the trees on Ash at Tisdall Park were in bloom. The scouts get a little excited (unlike me, ha-ha), but there's pretty good colour on these trees considering that they're at most 50% in bloom. I don't have the story on the sidewalk tiles. There are five different designs around the park.
    20140313_Ash49th_Whitcomb_Cutler_P1010430ps.jpg 20140313_Ash49th_Whitcomb_Cutler_P1010432ps.jpg 20140313_Ash49th_SidewalkDeco_Cutler_P1010431.jpg

25. Laura Blumenthal

Laura Blumenthal Well-Known Member 10 Years

These Whitcombs are on the map - and the street lamps are set up so they look really spectacular at night - in bloom now on Ash St. between 46th and 47th in Tisdall Park (across the street from the Peretz Center).

IMG_3253.jpg IMG_3254.jpg IMG_3257.jpg

Laura 3:)