jujube Tree

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by mlui, Oct 6, 2013.

1. mlui

mlui New Member

I live in Castlegar BC. I wish to plant a jujube tree and need advice. Can it survive in our area? Do I have to have two? How many years does it take to harvest the fruit? Where can I buy the plant?

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

I suspect you're going to get too cold for it in winter, but it might be worth a try on a sheltered south-facing slope or against a south-facing wall to give maximum protection from cold. Planting two will increase the fruit yield.

3. woodschmoe

woodschmoe Active Member 10 Years

Your only hope will be planting it under plastic or glass: even in a sheltered south-facing alcove here on the Gulf Islands, neither "Li" nor "Lang" (two of the earliest varieties) fruit for me, while both under a courrugated plastic roof (no sides) are growing fast, and ripened first fruits this year (two years from planting as bare-root)...albeit small fruits. They love the heat, and while a Castlegar summer in a good location provides lots of it, you'll need to keep it happy into October to have a chance of ripening fruit, and excessive cool and wet soil fall-spring seem to be harder on them than the cold.

Variety wise: as alluded to above, stick to "Li" or "Lang" as both are early ripening and productive. "Li" in particular is widely recommended as the best of the two if you're only planting one.

The plants are hard to find in B.C.; I imported a bunch from California a couple of years ago, but haven't since. I think Bob and Verna Duncan at Fruit Trees & More nursery in Sidney import them annually, however, and can ship to you.

They're a nice looking small tree with glossy leaves, and tiny yellow-green flowers. Based on watching mine this year, they seem to mostly be pollinated by ants and other ground insects.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  4. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

Personally, I know nothing about growing Jujube trees, but a quick search on the Net tells me they are hardy in zones 4–9 http://www.bayflora.com/jujubetrees.html , 5-10 http://www.tytyga.com/Jujube-Trees-s/1855.htm etc.
    So, may be you are growing wrong varieties, woodschmoe, or may be Gulf Islands, with their wet and cool summers, is not the best location for growing them.

Castlegar, with growing zone 6 and very hot, dry summers, seems to be a very good area to grow a right variety of Jujube. As Michael F has said, choosing a sheltered location can be of additional help. And the address given by woodshmoe, where to get them from http://www.fruittreesandmore.com/ , seems to be good one.

5. woodschmoe

woodschmoe Active Member 10 Years

Not the wrong varieties at all: after all, the first link you cite is located in San Francisco, and that's plenty wet and cool as well (though milder). Indeed, Li and Lang are about the only varieties that have been determined (by experts and enthusiasts) to have a chance at fruiting on the coast...although this could be more due to limited availability of other varieties up here. Plenty of online discussion about this if you're interested. I do agree, however, that they are not ideal for the coast...but neither are they for the Kootenays, so the discussion is really about if it's possible to grow them in moderately unsuitable locations...and as mentioned, this requires some sort of protection beyond a sheltered spot.

Careful about reading too much into zones: there is a tremendous variation in the characteristics of zones beyond mere temperature ranges that often have a determining effect on what will and won't grow and/or thrive. Castlegar is hot and dry in the summer, but as already mentioned, is quite cool and wet in the fall and spring after snow melt. In terms of wetness, it's not dissimilar to the coast, being located in the Kootenay wet belt. Not unlike the Kootenays, our summers here are also plenty hot and dry for jujubes, it's the cool and wet fall-winter-spring that seems to be at issue, and much the same would apply in the Kootenays. Osoyoos or Oliver might be ideal...

As an aside, I would personally be careful about citing your second link (tytyga.com) as any kind of authority: a quick google search of their reputation will confirm this. 'Notorious' about sums it up, and I'd regard any of their plant descriptions with a high degree of skepticism. Garden Watchdog or some such tells quite the tale...

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  6. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

Watch out for the thorns on young growth and suckers from roots can be a nuisance.

7. Faye M

Faye M New Member

Hello,
    I’m wondering whether anyone has more recent experience with growing Jujube in the Gulf islands or nearby. I bought a Jujube Li last spring - it bore a single delicious fruit last summer and spent the winter in a small greenhouse. I’d like to plant it out this year and am looking for a little guidance. Thanks!