*&^!@#$%* Squirrels!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Maples' started by maplesandpaws, Jun 17, 2012.

1. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

Today, the buggers added insult to injury - a nice strip of bark peeled off the trunk of my Tsukushigata. About 4-5" long, and a good 1" wide at the base of the trunk. Should I cover it with cut-paste (I have this for my bonsai), leave it exposed, treat it with anything??? Just don't know what would be best in this instance. I think we're supposed to have a somewhat decent chance of rain later today/tomorrow.

Seriously thinking I might have to invest in some burlap or tree wrap for winter if this keeps up. grrrrrrrrrrr

Attached Files:

2. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

I would use cut paste, especially in your climate. I would also cover it with a thin strip of foil. Here is a link to my pictures and results with using foil. (most people on here think I'm nuts, but it works very well for me) Check out posts #9, #11, #12:
    http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?p=317534#post317534

I like Dewitt tree wrap because it breathes and easily wraps around small trunks, curves, and low branches commonly found on Japanese maples.

3. maplesandpaws

Thanks JT, I will get the cut-paste put on today yet, since the tree is in the sun it should seal/dry before the rain starts. Would you put the cut-paste, and foil, on the bit of exposed root that also had the bark ripped off?

4. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

That's a toughy... I think it depends on how close the wound on the root is to the soil. I would not want excessive moisture finding it's way into the wound when watering as it could be temporarily under water at some point (either during regular watering or excessive rain).

At the very least, consider using cut paste to seal out water from getting between the heartwood and remaining bark on the root. Many times, when the squirrel pulls the bark away, it creates a gap between the remaining bark and the wood. If water gets in, generally it can cause the rest of the remaining bark to fail.

You may want to consider removing a little bit of soil near the area and putting a fresh coat of pine bark chips on the soil surface. I find the pine bark chips helps keep dirty water from splashing into the wound. Yes, pine bark will retain some moisture, but I find it makes a good barrier, and it tends to dry out quicker than soil when at the surface.

5. maplesandpaws

Well, I put the cut-paste on the wound, from the trunk down onto the exposed, affected root. I covered the cut-paste with the foil, as per your suggestion, and left it long enough, though open a bit at the bottom, such that it partially covers the root, though not tightly, more like a little 'roof'. I did see the gap you mentioned, along the sides where the bark was peeled away, and both the cut-paste and foil are covering this gap. It's just started raining, so anything else will have to wait for tomorrow. Hopefully, it heals well and no disease or infection sets in...

6. copperbeech

copperbeech Active Member 10 Years

Is this product (Dewitt wrap) available in Canada?

7. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

I am not sure. I found the best price is through Zoro tools dot com - 3"x50' for $1.96 I checked their website and they do not process international orders. Check out a garden center to see if they carry Dewitt products (they make edging, frost cover, tree staking kits, etc). If they have anything dewitt, then they should be able to order the tree wrap for you. If not for this season, then maybe they will have it for next season.

If you can't find it in Canada, then send me a private message (I will not post my address on a public forum). I will send you a roll of mine (I think last time I bought a bag full from zoro). I just ask that you send me a paid shipping envelope, and I will send you a roll for free to hold you over to next Spring, then you maybe able to buy it locally. Not even sure if it's worth it, since I never needed to ship something to Canada.

Of course my offer is only for copperbeech, as I can't afford to be buying a roll of tree wrap for everyone on the forum or everyone in the whole world!

8. copperbeech

copperbeech Active Member 10 Years

JT1 I just now saw your too kind offer...of course thank you.

It is too late for me to make use of this product this winter but if I still can't source it locally this season can I take you up on your offer this fall?

9. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Of course, jut let me know if or when the time comes.