Spring!

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Kaitain4, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Post spring pics here!

A few I snapped today. The file name identifies the plant.

Attached Files:

2. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Looking very nice K4, leaf envy beginning to kick in. With the record cold snowy March things are only just beginning here.

Kotohime:
    Kotohime2.jpg

Sango kaku:
    Sango kaku3.jpg

P.S. What does "JB-D" stand for?

3. Kaitain4

Maf,

As long as it does 'kick in'. That's the trick, right?!

'JB-D' is a seedling number. This was a cultivar from Talon Buchholz that was never named, but some people liked it. A number of the 'JB' series have made it into collections. I have:

A. p. 'JB-31'
    A. p. 'JB-33'
    A. p. 'JB-50'
    A. p. 'JB-A'
    A. p. 'JB-B'
    A. p. 'JB-C'
    A. p. 'JB-D'
    A. p. 'JB-G'
    A. p. 'JB-JRB#1'
    A. p. 'JB-K' (Green River)

The last one has now been named as indicated. I have no idea how many of these there are. I just took a chance on them.

4. jacquot

jacquot Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

I have most of those--not the JB-D!--and you are definitely ahead of us. Things are progressing, but we're not likely to be eating on the terrace with the show this year the way things are going. Spring with Japanese maples is absolutely wonderful.

5. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Here are a few pictures from this week. 'Goshiki kotohime' b&b at a local nursery (only 169.00, wish I had room for it, very cool). Back home, 'Shishigashira' and 'Sango Kaku' are starting to leaf out, along with a close up shot of 'Bihou'.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  6. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

maples !!

Attached Files:

7. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Wow, your Wakoh nishiki is awsome! Mine is only barely alive I'm afraid :( and not leafed out yet anyway. I'm on my second 'Sunshine', but not scheduled to go in the ground until next year.

8. alex66

Wako nishiki is the best :full sun,clay soil,dry and hot wind resistence

9. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

You're a maniac! :) I can't believe you don't even have it in the shade! Mine burns if you shine a flashlight on it. ;) But perhaps this lets it generate some nutrients for the roots from what little chlorophyl it has.

Wakoh nishiki is one of the most difficult of all maples to grow, by most accounts.

10. alex66

:) Hanachiru sato if possible is better because.. is fast growing !

11. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

I love this time of year - now if only old man winter would hang up his hat for good instead of inviting himself back in every week for the past month...

Attached Files:

12. Kaitain4

A few additional pics. Today was overcast and cold, but I could not resist snapping a few.

There are certain beds where I have combinations of things that I really like. Certain plants seem to accent maples well, so I've included some pics of a few 'companion plants'.

The first pic is of a small bed I have by the studio (the second pic is a close-up). Plants from left to right are: Acer palmatum 'Kamagata', Azalea, Cedrus atlantica 'Feelin' Blue', Acer shirasawanum 'Jordan', Acer palmatum 'Ebony', Spanish Bluebells, Picea mariana 'Nana' - plus a few annuals. I just love the color combinations of these plants.

Enjoy the other pics. File names are labels. :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
  13. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Things are coming on slow here, but I got a chance to take a few pictures on this cool gloomy day.

Attached Files:

14. Kaitain4

Love it when those little flowers start peeking out from under the leaves. :)

15. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

I agree, some of my favorite pictures are of the flowers. This year everything is loaded with flowers, because last growing season was so harsh. I think this is the first time my Orange dream has flowers.

By the way Kaitain, I love your Cedrus atlantica 'Feelin' Blue'. This season we added a Cedrus atlantica 'horstmann'. We always wanted an upright, but never had the room, so the horstmann was a perfect fit. I have been considering sapphire nymph, but after seeing your Feelin' Blue I think I may reconsider.

16. Kaitain4

Yes, love the Atlantica's. I have a Hortsmann as well (doing splendid). I will say that down here with our somewhat milder winter, the Cedrus literally never stop growing. In the winter they simply don't grow as much, but there is always a little new growth pushing out. That 'Feelin Blue' was just a small 1 gallon plant 4 years ago!

17. Kaitain4

Here's a pic of my Hortsmann - blue conifer on the far right.

Attached Files:

18. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Wow!!! That's a very impressive combination of conifers. Thanks for sharing!

19. maplesandpaws

Kaitain, in your picture, what is the more rounded/bushy conifer (kind of lighter green/chartreuse) between the two bluer ones? It's very nice! I'm guessing it's a type of pine? And I think the weeping, narrow blue conifer to the left/front of it is a spruce of some sort?

20. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

I'm amazed how much of a difference only a few days makes this time of year.

Attached Files:

21. Kaitain4

Maplesandpaws

The bushy tree is Pinus densiflora 'Golden Ghost'. The needles actually have yellow bands on them, which give it that color. The weeper in front of it is Picea pungens 'The Blues'

JT1 - love that bonsai!

22. maplesandpaws

Thanks!! It really is quite pretty, and I'm assuming stands up quite well to heat; what about humidity and/or drought? Looking for a few unique conifers to plant in the backyard and I might have to add this one to the list...

As JT said, it's amazing what a difference a few days makes - especially when you hit 90 (even though we might make 47 tomorrow, and there's a chance of snow - SNOW! - tomorrow night, grrrrr).

Attached Files:

23. Kaitain4

Maplesandpaws

Trees are lookin' good! Hope you don't get a freeze :(

Golden Ghost is planted in full Tennessee sun and humidity. Worth a shot. I get more comments on that tree and my Cupressus glabra 'Raywood's Weeping' than any other plants on my property.

P.S. I do candle-prune Golden Ghost to keep it in a bushy shape. Here's a pic of one that has been allowed to grow taller. Plus a pic of the banded needles.

Attached Files:

24. alex66

i have Pinus densiflora Oculus draconis, Pinus Wallichiana Zebrina and Sequoia Adpressa,after 5 years in open soil the variegations is lost ,not every, but much more ,i not know if is uncorrect my prune method

25. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Thanks Kaitain! That bonsai is starting to become one of my favorites!

I love variegated pines. I have a couple of the Japanese white pine varieties, but the variegation is not as strong as the black pines. I am looking to add a nice variegated black pine this season or next.

Here are some shots from this week. The bonsai are the first to leaf out. The evergreens look fresh this time of year too, here are a few starting their second season growing as bonsai. Should have some great shots of everything else planted in the landscape this week.

Check out the miniature perennial in (red) bloom (3rd picture of mikawa yatsubusa seedling landscape, right side of pot).

Attached Files: