Identification: Beni Otake vs Acer palmatum "Red bamboo"

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Christophe, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Christophe

Christophe Active Member

I am interested by Beni Otake which is also called "Big red bamboo" in english (the approximatly translation for the japanese name).

But lookink at different pictures in books and on the web I noticed quite differences between B O and "Big Red Bamboo". In some pictures the leaves are less "linear".

Esvel sells "acer palmatum "Red bamboo"" and acer palmatum "beni Ohtake". I asked him what was the differences between them. He answered both were very similar.

Have you noticed some differences between both ?

2. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

To me this sounds like another duplication for the purpose of sales. I am sure the two trees are vertually identical just as Beni Hoshi and Ruby Stars are pretty much the same tree. It is just easier to sell a tree named Ruby Stars over Beni Hoshi.

3. mattlwfowler

mattlwfowler Active Member Maple Society

It certainly could be a case of re-naming. But these types come similar to seed type fairly often, and it is not out of bounds for someone to have selected out a seedling. I will say I have seen very linear leaves and some non-linear leaves on my Beni Otake...so that is not necessarily an indication of a different cultivar. Personally, I'd probably stick with the Beni Otake.

4. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

I have the cultivar named 'Red Bamboo' (from Esveld) and also 'Beni otake'. They are not the same. 'Red Bamboo's leaves are not as linear as 'Beni Otake's and colors are somewhat different. Shape wise, I find 'Red Bamboo' to be more vertical than 'Beni Otake'

Gomero

5. Christophe

Christophe Active Member

Thanks Gomero for your answer.

Which one do you prefer ? Would you have a picture of Red bamboo ? It's impossible to find one on the web. Even Esvel doesn't have any pic of Red bamboo and ask for one.

6. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

'Red Bamboo' is still leafing out as shown in the pics taken today. Whereas 'Beni otake' has finished leafing out more than 10 days ago.
    If I had to choose, 'Beni otake' would be my pick without hesitation.

Gomero

Attached Files:

7. Christophe

Christophe Active Member

Thanks a lot for the pics, Gomero. I'm definetly going for Beni Otake.