Downtown

Discussion in 'VCBF Neighbourhood Blogs' started by Anne Carten, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Nadia White Rock

Nadia White Rock Well-Known Member 10 Years

Akebono at Burrard Skytrain Station

Pink Akebonos on the ground. It is still a beauty!

2. lisali

lisali Member

I took these pictures of Kanzen cherry trees at Dunsmuir st and Hamilton st, Downtown.
    there are cherry trees in one side, and plum trees in the other side, both in bloom

20120416_Dunsmuir&Hamilton_Kanzan_Lisa_002.jpg

20120416_Dunsmuir&Hamilton_Kanzan_Lisa_003.jpg

20120416_Dunsmuir&Hamilton_Kanzan_Lisa_004.jpg

20120416_Dunsmuir&Hamilton_Kanzan_Lisa_005.jpg

3. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

4. Nadia White Rock

Beautiful Shirotae and Ukon near Yaletown Roundhouse

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  5. Nadia White Rock

Avium plena in Downtown

I never noticed how gorgeous these trees in bloom. Avium plena at Canadian Rail Station
    20120422_CanadianRailStationMain_AviumPlena_NadiaWhiteRock.jpg 20120422_CanadianRailStationMain_AviumPlena_NadiaWhiteRock6 (2).jpg 20120422_CanadianRailStationMain_AviumPlena_NadiaWhiteRock51.jpg

and 6 Shirofugen trees at Milross & Quebec are in full bloom
    20120422_MilrossQuebec_Shirofugen_NadiaWhiteRock.jpg 20120422_MilrossQuebec_Shirofugen_NadiaWhiteRock1.jpg 20120422_MilrossQuebec_Shirofugen_NadiaWhiteRock3.jpg

6. wcutler

Are these big news - these 'Accolade' blossoms on Richards south of Robson? Apparently they are - CBC radio called Douglas Justice downtown today to interview him about them. The interview should be on The Early Edition on Monday, January 21, some time between 5am and 9am. I don't know what Douglas found to say about them. Me, I'd have said "Go back to work - this tree is NOT IN BLOOM". I guess that's why they don't interview me.

Only one section of the tree is in bloom. I thought that curious, but I'd forgotten that a large part of it is from the P. avium rootstock, which I photographed in posting #84. In Anne Eng's posting #57, you can see how little of it is still 'Accolade'. I found it curious at the time that she said it was in full bloom when so little of it was in bloom. Now I realize why.

The other 'Accolade' trees around the neighbouring West End have only a very few blossoms, though I could probably get a photo similar to the first one here on some but not all of them.

Attached Files:

7. wcutler

Douglas said he was surprised to find an 'Accolade' with all these flowers, thought he'd be talking about 'Autumnalis Rosea'. He could have read our blog to see what was here, but never mind, he did fine.

You can select the January 21 episode here, and go to 0:40:20 http://www.cbc.ca/earlyedition/pastepisodes/. CBC Vancouver posted a photo on their facebook page at
    https://www.facebook.com/VancouverCBC?fref=ts.

8. Nadia White Rock

Isn't it too early for Accolade? But it is for sure Accolade cherry. Some branches don't have any tips for blooming but some are just like in March, fully open flowers. Maybe some secret heating underground in this spot?

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      310.3 KB
      Views:
  9. wcutler

Follow the links in posting #131. More than half the tree is avium rootstock growth. But many 'Accolade' do have a few concentrated areas with some flowers in January. Same for 'Whitcomb'. At least that's true around the West End.

10. Nadia White Rock

So, avium rootstock is responsible for early bloom?

11. wcutler

No, you said "some branches don't have any tips" - those are the avium ones. The area with the early bloom is semi-normal for 'Accolade'. It's a bit more open than usual in January, maybe just because it's right over concrete and not much grass. I somehow missed all the sun that would have made it warmer over the concrete.

Or maybe you're on to something. If so little of it is 'Accolade', it can put extra energy into that area of the tree? Does it work that way?

There don't seem to be any other 'Whitcomb' or 'Accolade' downtown to compare it to, and we don't have any record of how it's behaved in January from other years.

12. Sue Wagner

Sue Wagner Active Member VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

The Accolade* trees near the Aquatic Centre have started to bloom--that is the ones near the Thurlow crosswalk on Beach Avenue on the south side. I took some pictures one of the foggy days and already there are more blooms in the rain. I find renaming the jpegs such a hassle but I will if you want.

*I believe they have been identified as Accolades other years.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2013
  13. Nadia White Rock

I don't see any early bloom yet in my area...

14. wcutler

They're really 'Accolade', but they're in the West End. Sorry, I meant in the Downtown neighbourhood, which has slightly different growing conditions than the West End - more concrete, less grass. And though they have flowers, it's not many, and they won't get covered in flowers until it's really time.

And yes, I know it's a hassle to name the photos, but if I take them to use in a slide show, or the festival website, or a book (and one of your photos is in the Ornamental Cherries book) I need all that info that comes along in the name. Even here on the forums, people can mouse over and see the date taken, location, cultivar name if you know it, and the photographer. It's really not just make-work.

It's funny you mention naming photos today. Someone just wrote today to the festival asking where a photo on the website was taken. It came to the festival one year through the Blossom Watch, but there's no information in the name and we have no idea where it was taken or who the photographer was. Any photo I post on the website has all the information in the name and it all shows in the mouse-over. Well, except for the map, but we have the info. For most of the map pins, you can click through to the forum posting.

15. xd1771

xd1771 Active Member

I saw them while on the C21 today.

The ones on Richard @ Robson are really starting to look nice now....

Attached Files:

16. wcutler

I think this is totally in bloom on February 21, 2013. There's an 'Accolade' along Coal Harbour, which is this neighbourhood, and it's not at all in bloom. Makes it difficult for me to figure out what to do about the blooming date for this cultivar in this neighbourhood on the map. I'm going to go with the date the other one blooms.

I'm attaching a better photo to show what's going on with the trunks. In this photo, it almost looks like there were three trees - two 'Accolade' (in front) and one Prunus avium.

Attached Files:

17. wcutler

Re: Downtown - the first Akebono blossoms of 2013

That's from last year, March 15. The story is the same - same mobile device, same lame photo. It's been a tradition for several years now.

It's been two weeks from first blossom to open for three years in a row. I think I've caught them a little sooner than before - the buds are not quite as pink, not yet swollen. So two and a half weeks to open. That's the week before the April 4 festival opening. Perfect. If this is right, it's the same timing as last year.

Attached Files:

18. Sue Wagner

Sue Wagner Active Member VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

There is a new cherry at the bottom of Hornby Street, near Seabreeze Walk where the ferry to Granville Island docks. I think it must be a Pendula Snofozam. Please someone else check it out.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  19. wcutler

Yes, 'Snofozam'. I posted it (posting #93) in 2011 on April 2 - maybe it had been open for a while. Thanks for this - I've just fixed the blooming date on the festival map.

20. yaletowner

yaletowner Active Member 10 Years

Re: Beautiful tree by Lupo Restaurant

These blossoms look as great this year as last. I am identifying these as Umineko's as they seem the same as those so identified from Riley Park.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
  21. yaletowner

Marinaside seawall

The seawall in Yaletown by the Roundhouse Community Centre & Urban Fare was crowded yesterday with walkers, cyclists and assorted others enjoying the sun, warm temperatures, hardly any breeze and these townhome blossoms!

Attached Files:

22. wcutler

Re: Beautiful tree by Lupo Restaurant

They're 'Akebono', as are the ones in your next photo on Marinaside. The tree shape in the middle photo on Marinaside is pretty confusing, I have to say. Still, 'Akebono'.

One thing, there don't seem to be any young 'Umineko'. They're coming in as 'Snow Goose', and the young ones are very upright. Blossoms are very white.

23. yaletowner

David Lam Park Akebono's

Nice day to view the Akebono blossoms in David Lam Park!

Attached Files:

24. yaletowner

David Lam Park Akebono's

The trees seem to be maturing nicely but are still somewhat small.

25. yaletowner

Roger's Arena

Three beautiful Akebono trees with blossoms in full display in late afternoon on a sunny, warm Easter Sunday. Just outside Roger's Arena Gate D fan store ready for the Canucks next home game next Thursday against the Oilers that smoked them 4-0 Saturday in oiltown. A nice touch of nature amidst the area's bleak concrete. Visible from the seawall bike path.

Attached Files: