What 1 or 2 JM is on your next to acquire list?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by copperbeech, Dec 20, 2012.

1. copperbeech

copperbeech Active Member 10 Years

Many of you have very well stocked, mature JM gardens. But even so I am sure each year there is something you want to obtain for the coming season. How about letting us know a maple or two on your wish list as this gives us all something to consider for our own garden.

2. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

This past season it was:

Acer palmatum 'Bihou'
    Acer palmatum 'Mikawa Yatsubusa'
    Acer palmatum 'Hana matoi'
    Acer palmatum 'Manyo no sato'

For next season maybe:

Acer palmatum 'Corallinum'
    Acer palmatum 'Beni hime'

3. rufretic

rufretic Active Member

I just got 11 2 year grafts that I'm pretty excited to plant in the spring, so excited I'm thinking about ordering another 11. But they are just cheap babies to help add to my collection so I have more cultivars to observe. If I really like any then I'll spend the money and get a large one, they grow waaaay to slow to wait for 2 year grafts to turn into landscape trees. I'm not going to list all those but the three large ones(10-15 gallon) I plan to get in the spring are:

Acer plamatum 'Shin Deshojo'
    Acer plamatum 'Purple Ghost'
    Acer shirasawanum 'Aureum'

I can't wait for spring! We are just getting our first snow storm as I type lol.

4. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

Usugumo
    Kawaii (had a little one year graft a couple years ago that didn't make it, but loved it)
    Green Snowflake
    Nuresagi (already have a small 3yr graft, but want a bigger landscape tree, 7g at least)
    Olsen's Frosted Strawberry (my little 2yr graft I don't think is going to make it through the winter; going big the second time around, hopefully 5g, I love this cultivar)
    Esk Sunset
    and many more...
    and multiple dwarf conifers :)

5. copperbeech

How tall is your 2yr graft one?

I am able to get OFS this coming spring but it will be a quite (too?) small one.

6. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Among those that I lost last winter, there are two that I'd really love to have again :

Tsuma Gaki
    Shirasawanum 'Aureum'

They were my favourite ones :(

But as I'm getting on in years, this time I'll go to a proper nursery and buy bigger ones than the small ones I had bought, and grew for nearly ten years like the 'Aureum'.

Another good reason to take new year's resolutions and give up smoking ^^

7. copperbeech

I am curious Alain if you have some ideas as to why your well established 'Aureum' didn't survive this past winter.

8. maplesandpaws

My little Olsen's officially kicked the bucket :( Wasn't even a foot tall above the soil line, with only a few main branches. My favorite nurseries (Topiary, Eastfork) who I would trust to pick out a really nice tree for me either don't typically have this cultivar, or don't have larger sizes, so no matter who I order from, I'm stuck buying a tree I haven't seen. Don't really want to pay the high price the local nursery will (likely) charge me for a 2-5g Olsen's if I order one through them, but, if I buy the Myke at the same time as the tree, I get a 5yr warranty on the plant. But, on the other hand, by the time I pay for shipping on a larger plant, I'll probably be about the same price as buying local. :(

9. copperbeech

Good that you able to obtain this hard to find JM from a local nursery. But I am thinking that it will be very difficult to get it in even a 5 gallon size?

(Nurseries around here also offer an increased warranty on plants with the purchase of MYKE mycorhizae).

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  10. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

I think I know : it was in a big pot, as a patio plant, but I had planned to repot it in the spring. Two weeks of contiuous frost weakened the roots, and like others, the buds began to swell, but it didn't have enough healthy roots to survive a second spell of frost. Had it been planted in the ground, it might have survived...

11. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

I would like 1. Acer sieboldianum 'Kumoi nishiki' , 2. Acer palmatum 'Pink Ballerina'

12. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Ha! K4, I was just about to write your number 1. That is really a cracking looking tree. Not sure where to get one though, Maillot doesn't even list it as "out of stock" any more. For number 2, I'd really go for A. davidii 'Hansu suru' even if it is a Chinese maple.

-E

13. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

There is a grower not too far from me that has 'Kumoi nishiki' , but if I can't pry one out of him I feel pretty sure I can get some scions and graft my own. :)

14. emery

Excellent!

15. titouess

titouess Member

hello,everybody
    i'm new in this forum
    i have:
    hime chidori
    orange and lemons
    scolopendrifolium
    palmatum palmatum
    i have just buy:
    chishio hime
    Eimini
    Englishtown

16. emery

Bienvenue and welcome, titoess. Looking out the window near you in Paris; it certainly is a grim day, spring can't come soon enough.

I didn't know Eimini, sounds like a nice one.

I was in Boskoop this past WE, it is not such a bad drive from here. I didn't actually (foolishly) get any JMs but did come back with the following from Esveld:

A. davidii 'Hagalunie'
    A. campbelli ssp sinense
    A. campbelli ssp wilsonii
    A. tutcherii
    A. zoeschense 'Annae'

The Aceretum at Esveld was very cold but with beautiful forms none the less.

17. titouess

titouess Member

mine are also boskoop, but made ​​the trip alone
    I do not have much space in the garden, but the call of the forest was the strongest
    Spring is coming soon to apreciate the foliage of japanese maples
    davidii 'Hagelunie'is a beautiful zebra
    congratulation

18. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Next week I have my "new to me" plants arriving for 2013 from Buchholz. Here is what I decided to add to my collection this year:
    1-Acer palmatum 'Little Sango'
    1-Acer palmatum 'Manyo no sato'
    1-Ginkgo biloba 'Troll'
    1-Pinus parviflora 'Goldilocks'
    1-Acer buergerianum 'Miyasama yatsubusa'
    1-Abies pinsapo 'Horstmann' (14-year-old dwarf conifer)
    1-Picea omorika 'Peve Tijn'
    1-Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Chirimen'
    6-Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Hage' (for bonsai)
    1-Acer palmatum 'Corallinum'

19. copperbeech

I think you have listed 15 individual JM which are soon to come into your possession!

Now I have (too much) perused your outstanding slideshow and I am at a loss as to where you can find space to accommodate these additions!
    Are there undeveloped areas of your property that I cannot see?

20. titouess

titouess Member

21. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Thank you for your compliment on my Flickr slideshow. Only a few of the plants coming are of specimen size. The rest are going to be supporting plants. Since the Spring slideshow, a lot has changed. I am trying to add more evergreens and other unusual dwarf plants to compliment the Japanese maples. Here are some pictures of the front yard from last fall to give you an idea of some of the changes that took place. Last fall was not great for pictures, that's why I never did a fall gallery from last season.

I think I have a problem and need to see a therapist about my plant addiction.

Attached Files:

22. copperbeech

No explanation needed. All regulars to these forums are probably much like yourself. It is lucky that you have space, money and often most importantly a supportive spouse/partner :).

23. rufretic

rufretic Active Member

I think I have the same addiction lol. I'm doing ok with space & money but supportive spouse I'm still working on, most of my additions have to be secrets :-( But I have a good size yard with a lot of wild forest and move things around a lot so it's amazing how much I can add without getting caught :-)

So far for this spring I'm at:
    (30) 2 year grafts
    1 gal Kinshi
    1 gal Peaces & Cream
    1 gal Sagara Nishiki
    1 gal Koto Maru
    (2) 1 gal Tsuma Gaki
    2 gal First Ghost
    2 gal Ariadne
    (2) 5 gal Olsens Frosted Strawberry
    10 gal Jordan
    15 gal Aureum
    15 gal Shin Deshojo
    15 gal Bonfire

and a 5 gal Dawn Redwood 'Gold Rush'

Looking at that list now I have no idea how I'm going to get away with planting all those without getting busted by the wife :-(

Yes, I think it's safe to say I have a problem. But I'm trying really hard not to buy any more this spring, a couple more are calling my name though, lol. I'm so excited to start planting!

24. maplesandpaws

rufretic, where did you happen to find your Olsen's? I am so hoping to get a nice large one, I really loved the little 1g I had, but summer was just too much for it. :(

btw, if the wife busts you, just send some of them my way - I'll provide a nice home for them. :D

25. rufretic

rufretic Active Member

I found mine local but Essence of the tree has some nice sizes listed on the web site.