Identification: Pet friendly moss control for lawn

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by dsta123, Feb 25, 2013.

1. dsta123

dsta123 New Member

I live in Langley, BC and I have a serious problem with moss on my lawn. Many years ago, I was told to use a moss killer and then after the moss turned dark, you power rake the lawn. However, I have a dog and am worried about applying any type of chemical that might be harmful.

Thank you for any and all suggestions!

2. Lysichiton

Lysichiton Active Member

Depends on one's point of view. I do not consider moss a problem in most cases. In fact I welcome its ability to grow in the less, fertile, shadier areas & encourage it. In some areas of my yard it is the most suitable ground cover, IMO. Why fight this ancient, useful & attractive life-form?

My observation tells me that in areas where moss chooses to grow & grass chooses not, you might as well give up, or increase the amount of light & air circulation. There is no magic "solution". Just money in a tradesman's pocket, which is not a bad thing in itself - as long as it's not my money.

3. dsta123

dsta123 New Member

Thank you very much for your input. My problem with leaving the moss is that it tends to get chewed up by my lawn mower and/or from foot traffic (me and my dog) as it never appears to be "rooted" but rather just sits on the ground surface.

Perhaps I will just power rake and try to remove as much as possible without using chemicals and then apply some lime, seed and fertilizer.

Cheers!

4. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

Raking, planting shady lawn seed, and fertilizing should do the job, in my experience. Keeping the grass growing by continuing to fertilize it periodically is essential for preventing the moss from returning. Also, mow the grass high to shade the soil as much as possible.

5. dsta123

dsta123 New Member

Thank you for your guidance - it's greatly appreciated.

6. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hollow tine aeration of the area to improve drainage will also make conditions better for grass and less good for moss.

7. dsta123

dsta123 New Member

Thank you Michael - I was going to rent a power raker (de-thatcher) but your recommendation makes more sense - hopefully, I can rent a hollow tine aerator from Home Depot. Cheers!

8. Lysichiton

Lysichiton Active Member

Why can't we all learn to love our inner bryophyte? I am surrounded by bryocides & pteridocides!

I regard the powerful moss-control industry as one of the great achievements of marketing in North America. On a par with the pharmaceutical companies that invent an " incurable disease" so that they can then market the drug for which they have failed to find a pre-existing condition.

lol.

9. dsta123

dsta123 New Member

It's not that I'm against moss - or the numerous corporations associated with lawn care products and/or services. I simply prefer a moss-free lawn.

My second wish is to win a million dollar lottery but then again, I'd probably have to purchase a ticket.....

10. kooshka

kooshka New Member

I have "lots of moss" this year and not only in the grass but in my flower beds as well (perennials) Any suggestions from experience to get rid of it.