Best source for JM seeds?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by ndynslvr, Nov 12, 2012.

1. ndynslvr

ndynslvr Member

Tallahassee, Florida, United States of America
    What are some good online sources for Japanese maple seeds? I've recently moved and would like to start growing two saplings as companions. I've scouted the area for some japanese maples but the cultivars I found growing in my area (there aren't many japanese maples in the south, zone 8b) do not have any seeds on them.

I just want a small amount amount of viable seeds from a standard purple, like a bloodgood and a standard green, like osakazuki.

I do not know of any real reliable seed sellers, but I do know that the japanese maple requires fresh seeds for best results.

2. fortyonenorth

fortyonenorth Member

I've found a few sources online, but they are inevitably overpriced. Check out Ebay. There are several JM Nurseries who are listing seeds this time of year. Most have been harvested in the past month and I've found they are reasonably priced.

This probably goes without saying, but seedlings will not come true-to-type. You might get something resembling the parent or—for better or for worse--you might get something totally different.

3. ndynslvr

ndynslvr Member

Tallahassee, Florida, United States of America
    Which is why i chose the JM trees, there is more variation in them than most other trees.

4. fortyonenorth

fortyonenorth Member

Hmmm. Not sure if your compliment was directed at me, but I was just trying to be clear. I don't post here often and it's hard to know what level of knowledge any one individual has.

5. DougieMapleSeed

DougieMapleSeed Active Member

I have found reasonably priced seed on ebay from several sources as well. Best selection during the fall for obvious reasons.