Two Questions Please

Discussion in 'Maples' started by kaydye, Oct 27, 2012.

1. kaydye

kaydye Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

First question: I collected seed from some maples about two weeks ago, put them in plastic bags and forgot about them until today. Of course, they have mold on them. I put them into cups with a fungicide diluted into the hot water treatment for seeds. I will let them sit for at least 24 hours. Will they still have a chance of sprouting? Or should I just pitch them and hope for next year?

Second question: Being in zone 5 I put my potted maples into the garage each winter. This year, probably due to the heat and drought we had, the leaves have fallen early-before we have even had a killing frost. Usually, I leave the maples out in the natural weather until it threatens to dip into the 25 degree F. range. So I am wondering if I should leave them out like I usually do or bring them in, since the leaves are gone. I worry a little that if I leave them out, they may get more water than they need; they seem to be dormant already.

I'd appreciate anyone who has opinions about either of these questions. Thanks.
    Kay

2. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

First question: take one of the seeds, open it up and take a look inside, if it looks green and healthy then you can keep and sow them.

Second question: it does not matter, you can do either way. One piece of info to keep in mind is that, even though the leaves are gone, roots are still active until the temperature at the roots drop below 9-10°C

Gomero

3. katsura

katsura Active Member 10 Years

Gomero's advice is good and I would think they would be fine.
    I would not think a little mold on the seed coat would kill the embryoes.
    I am not cold enough here so I cold stratify in the fridge at about 38F for 90-110
    days in moist peat moss because the tannins in the peat moss act as a fungicide and
    kill off pathogens that are on the seed coats. Good luck!

4. 17 Maples

17 Maples Active Member

am I understanding correctly if the seed is exposed with fungus/mold or still dressed up in it's withering protective sheath....... ? i the latter not a prob, make sure enough moisture in the soil during colder winter months as dessication of the roots would be very common thus death of the future plant.

5. kaydye

How interesting. I had never heard that about peat moss. I put mine in the fridge, too. Critters would be the problem with leaving them outside for me.
    Kay

6. kaydye

[QUOTE

Second question: it does not matter, you can do either way. One piece of info to keep in mind is that, even though the leaves are gone, roots are still active until the temperature at the roots drop below 9-10°C

Gomero[/QUOTE]

Sounds like I would be best to leave them out for awhile yet. Good, it's easier to take care of them outside.

I'll check one of the seeds right now. Seems the concensus is they'll be worth trying. Thanks.
    Kay

7. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hi Kay,

I have always planted out in seed trays, and with good success. But last winter mice dug up the trays and ate all the seed. They also got into my stocks. So this winter I am going to stratify in the fridge.

Something to think about if you think mice might be a problem.

-E

8. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Off topic, but I have a solution for mice and other garden rodents…

I took out the majority of my neighborhood mice with a 5 gallon bucket, a 6" wide board that is about 4' long, and sunflower seeds. Fill the bucket up with water 2/3 the way up. Dump in sunflower seeds (they float) completely covering the water surface an inch deep or more. They appear dry when floating and piled up on top of each other (like a bucket of seed with no visible water). Set the board at the edge of the bucket, and lay a light trail of sunflower seeds up the plank. They walk the plank. Last summer, I set up my trap only on 5 separate occasions and took out 20 mice. Place the trap in a traveled area or protected area that the mice will feel safe (by the foundation of your house, garage, or barn, not out in the open) I think the neighborhood is close to mice free now.