Big graceful sprays of teeny white flowers - Datisca cannabina

Discussion in 'Talk about UBC Botanical Garden' started by wcutler, Aug 8, 2012.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I don't have words to describe this thing growing outside the Pavilion, with the huge gracefully-drooping sprays of tiny white flowers.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  2. Douglas Justice

Douglas Justice Well-Known Member UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society 10 Years

Re: Big graceful sprays of teeny white flowers

Datisca cannabina. A rarely cultivated herbaceous perennial in its own family, Datiscaceae. Plants are dioecious (male and female flowers on separate plants) and fix nitrogen through a mutualistic relationship with a root-nodulating actinobacteria in the genus Frankia. Frankia species are also known to associate with Alnus (alder) and Elaeagnus (oleaster) and its relatives. Used as a dye plant. Native from the eastern Mediterranean to the Himalayas.

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Ok to use for BPotD? We haven't featured any plants from that family yet.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Has actually been in commerce down here (Heronswood nursery, Steamboat Island nursery) and displayed in the landscaping at Swanson's nursery in Seattle.

5. wcutler

You're asking me? Of course. That's great.

6. wcutler

And Colletia (links to Plants ID posting of a Stanley Park plant that Nadia and I have been watching for flowers on).

Thanks, Douglas. None of those are words I'd have thought of using to describe it. I'm glad to know it isn't something everyone but me would have known about.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  7. Nadia White Rock

Nadia White Rock Well-Known Member 10 Years

That is a picture how Datisca cannabina looks with fruits, photo taken at the end of September

Attached Files:

8. Tiiu Mayer

Tiiu Mayer Member

My datisca cannabina has these seeds (fruits?) and I am wondering if they are fertile since I only have one plant. Does anyone know how to propagate this? I dug mine up last year and there was a huge root 'mass'. Can that be successfully divided? And also, why is this plant not more widely available? I cannot find it for sale on the internet in the US. It is such a graceful plant, at least in my location here in north Baltimore County, Maryland, USA. it does well in its location against a wall in a NNE exposure.

I acquired it about 6 years ago at a 4-H fair in Putnam County, NY. Has no idea what it was - I just took home all the orphan plants that were left at the end of the day. It took a while to identify it and now I'm thrilled to have a rare plant. What a nice surprise!

9. Tiiu Mayer

Tiiu Mayer Member

Wendy, can you add Datisca Cannabina to the title line so that it shows up in searches? thx.

10. wcutler

Happy to oblige. I think it would show up in searches anyway.

11. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Flora of Pakistan reports it is readily propagated by seed or cuttings. Going off Nadia's photographs from September, it seems our plant produces a lot of fruit -- but whether it is fertile or not, I don't know.

Plant Delights Nursery carries the plant in the US. Our plants were sourced from seed from the Moscow Botanical Garden.

12. wcutler

Here's a fruit photo from today.

Attached Files:

13. wcutler

I may as well complete the cycle - here's the Datisca cannabina in May. I didn't notice when it was cut back, but we were assured that it will grow back to its glory from last summer.

Attached Files:

14. Tiiu Mayer

Tiiu Mayer Member

It will definitely come back. Mine die to the ground in fall and grow back every summer year after year to their 7 - 8 foot height. The stems are hollow.

15. wcutler

It's back! I was so excited.

Attached Files:

16. wcutler

I've missed seeing the Datisca cannabina outside the Pavilion, so I was very excited to see this plant in the Winter Garden today. But it's not the same individual - this one is male. The second photo in this thread and the photo that precedes this posting show female flowers.
    Datisca cannabina_UBCBG_Cutler_20220811_160503.jpg Datisca cannabina_UBCBG_Cutler_20220811_160412.jpg Datisca cannabina_UBCBG_Cutler_20220811_160608.jpg
    Datisca cannabina male flowers_UBCBG_Cutler_20220811_160658.jpg Datisca cannabina - male flowers_UBCBG_Cutler_20220811_160744.jpg

Daniel Mosquin likes this.