Thistle or what? Purple flowers, no thorns

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by wcutler, Jul 24, 2012.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I could swear I've just seen this posted somewhere, but I didn't care about the name until I saw it today, I think on the parkway side of Lost Lagoon, and how would I ever find the posting now! The spiny bits aren't very prickly, and I didn't see any thorns. Ron, this won't be so painful to look at.

I don't know if these are natives or even wildflowers, as it's the area of the park that the Parks Board has planted.

Attached Files:

2. Andrey Zharkikh

Andrey Zharkikh Well-Known Member 10 Years

3. wcutler

Thanks, Andrey. I guess I was imagining seeing it here. I certainly wasn't thinking of the leaves posted yesterday for ID.

4. Andrey Zharkikh

Andrey Zharkikh Well-Known Member 10 Years

5. wcutler

I love these forums - I didn't remember the name of this, but remembered that I'd posted it one year, so was able to find my posting and the name right away. I didn't post a habit photo of this burdock at Lost Lagoon four years ago, but it seems that there's a lot more of it now. It didn't before seem so under attack by aphids or whatever those little black things are.
    Arctium_LostLagoon_Cutler_20180618_134645.jpg Arctium_LostLagoon_Cutler_20180618_134716.jpg Arctium_LostLagoon_Cutler_20180618_134757.jpg

6. wcutler

Well, I hadn't quite got the idea - these Arctium minus at English Bay are almost my height. They're pretty determined plants, note the great growing conditions in the third photo.
    Arctium-minus_EnglishBay_Cutler_20200616_141736.jpg Arctium-minus_EnglishBay_Cutler_20200616_141800.jpg Arctium-minus_EnglishBay_Cutler_20200616_141851.jpg