Looks fuzzy summer stumper

Discussion in 'Plants and Biodiversity Stumpers' started by wcutler, Jun 21, 2012.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

This looks fuzzy, but it doesn't feel nice and fuzzy.

Please ask me to not post all the photos I've taken of this thing. I love this.

Attached Files:

2. wcutler

No bites on my favourite flower (of the month, anyway - these have been out for a couple of weeks now)? Does this make it too easy?

Attached Files:

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Gorse flower?

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I'm fairly certain I know what it is... I suspect you need to free your mind.

5. wcutler

Daniel is right that it's not gorse.

6. wcutler

I really thought the yellow would give this one away.

Attached Files:

7. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Wow, I saw this post before I went away for a few days, I am really surprised it has not been guessed (over 200 views). The English Bay Bathhouse name of the images cinched it for me, because I had had dinner with friends in the area the night before you posted Wendy. We walked past the bathhouse and saw this large shrub right next to it--literally covered in gold blooms.

I am fairly certain I know the genus, but I don't know which of the two species this is (?), I imagine it's a cultivar and could be a hybrid.

The clues seem to just give it away to me, it actually probably does feel nice and fuzzy, maybe even like flannel, but you would be sorry you had felt it.

8. The man eater Yellow Trumpet?Only in a smaller version to eat insects or people who don't pay their bill?
    I suspect it eats something.

9. wcutler

No, it's a bit rough, not fuzzy. It might look like flannel, but it doesn't feel anything like that. I had to go out to take more photos, if I'm expected to get the species/cultivar of this, which I thought I knew but I wasn't thinking of cultivars (my photos didn't help) and I forgot the warning about skin irritations. I felt everything and brought home two flowers. No problems yet. I can look forward to respiratory tract and eye irritation if I don't go wash my hands soon.

It doesn't need to eat anything with those big stamens out there brushing against the bees. Well, maybe that's not how that works, but it doesn't eat anything anyway.

10. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

I could tell it was flannel bush after the third photo. I have one in bloom out in front of my house.

11. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Well so it's Fremontodendron and likely F. californicum or a hybrid cultivar. Can we see more photos now Wendy?

12. wcutler

Oh, good. Yes, Fremontodendron. That's as far as I was thinking I'd need to go, but now Eric has raised the issue of which. In this thread, Ron B said "The dominant form here is the hybrid cultivar 'California Glory' ". According to this malvaceae.info page,
    There's a link there to quite a bit more description. These flowers are 3" (7.5cm). These are 5-lobed leaves? That's what's supposed to distinguish F. 'California Glory' from F. californicum. I wouldn't have thought palmate. The veining seems to do what Davidia leaves do, with the veins near the petiole going off at 90 degrees from one of the veins. Does that count as palmate? I'm not sure that is a distinguishing feature.
    20120626_EnglishBayBathhouse_Fremontodendron_Cutler_P1250711.jpg 20120626_EnglishBayBathhouse_Fremontodendron_Cutler_P1250691.jpg 20120626_EnglishBayBathhouse_Fremontodendron_Cutler_P1250695.jpg
    20120626_EnglishBayBathhouse_Fremontodendron_Cutler_P1250688.jpg 20120626_EnglishBayBathhouse_Fremontodendron_Cutler_P1250692.jpg 20120626_EnglishBayBathhouse_Fremontodendron_Cutler_P1250694.jpg
    The toonie is 2.8cm, a bit over an inch.

Here are the photos the quiz photos were taken from, and a few more.
    20120620_EnglishBayBathhouse_Cutler_P1250385.jpg 20120620_EnglishBayBathhouse_Cutler_P1250374.jpg
    20120626_EnglishBayBathhouse_Fremontodendron_Cutler_P1250698.jpg 20120606_EnglishBayBathhouse_Fremontodendron_Cutler_P1240596.jpg 20120620_EnglishBayBathhouse_Fremontodendron_Cutler_P1250386.jpg

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  13. wcutler

Photo #3 in my previous posting clearly shows the two stipules that are mentioned in the 'California Glory' description. But there isn't a detailed description of the species on those pages, and I haven't found one, to know if the species has those as well.

But I did find a USDA Plants Database photo of F. californicum that shows leaves with fewer lobes than the one I posted. Here's the source page, with many more photos. I'd be happy to call the one I posted 'California Glory'.

14. wcutler

Oops, looked at more of the USDA photos. Here's one with 5-lobes, even more indented than on the English Bay one. And they're calling that Fremontodendron californicum. I give up.