Sun and heat hardy maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by maplesandpaws, Jun 8, 2012.

1. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

Kansas is warm (ie, hot) and muggy in summer, with it's fair share of wind, not exactly conducive to Japanese Maples. So, I'm trying to find a list - if there is one - of maples that are known to do well in these conditions. Specifically, I would love to find out which cultivars were propagated/named/introduced by Harry Olsen and Harold Johnston. I know they introduced several maples and, seeing as they are both from the southeast - hot, humid, and lots of sun - it stands to reason that most, if not all, of their introductions would do well in those conditions, and therefore in Kansas. Other nurseries/propagators that I am not aware but are also in the south/east, and cultivars they've introduced, would be nice too. I do have Vertrees' latest edition, which I know does occasionally mention who introduced a particular cultivar, and whether it's heat tolerant/hardy, but not always.

Can anyone help me out?

2. prairiestyle

prairiestyle Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

If you type "heat tolerant" or something similar into the search you will get many relevant threads, some which address your question about sunlight as well.

For example, here is a good one, addressing a situation very similar to yours, but there are more.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
  3. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

hi i live in zone 9 in my garden is hot tollerance :Fire Glow,Osakazuki,Chisio,Sarazami and many japonicum:-)

4. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Hi Andrea,

Acer palmatum 'Glowing Embers' is an introduction out of Georgia known for its excellent heat tolerance and great fall color. For more info: http://ggmp.uga.edu/trees/2005.html

If you choose 'Glowing Embers' be sure you are buying the correct tree as there are two varieties out there, one is the green leaf variety from Georgia (known for its heat tolerance) and the other is a red leaf cultivar from British Columbia.

I have also found that 'Kamagata' and 'Shishigashira' do great in full sun and heat.

5. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Are you familiar with the summer weather conditions in the Tokyo region which is part of the native range of acer palmatum?

Gomero

6. alex66

hot wind,muggy,high temperature ..is Roma!!and however i have a larger number of happy maples :-)

7. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

Hi Gomero :) I know Tokyo is warm and muggy in summer, but I also know they don't get nearly as hot as we do: Typically high 80's F (low 30's C) starting in May, about 10F warmer in June/early July, and 100's F (low 40's C) last half of July and through August, and not just a day or two here and there, consistently for days, or even weeks, on end, with nighttime temps often not dropping below low 80's F. (Last year, from June through September, we set a new record for the number of days of 100F or higher - 54!!)

Humidity is often from 70-90%; every now and then a little dryer, but not often. And winds are usually 15-35mph; very seldom do we have a calm day with little to no wind. :( Plus, the sun in Kansas is also MUCH more intense than any sun you'll get in Tokyo during the same time of day/year.

Alex, I would hazard to guess that while you don't get as cold as we do in the winter, we probably have very similar summer conditions. The name of the nursery escapes me at the moment, but I know there's a nursery in Italy that has introduced several cultivars - which ones, I couldn't tell you offhand - that are supposed to be more heat/sun tolerant. What cultivars do you have that do well, or dare I say thrive, in the hot/muggy/windy conditions?

8. alex66

nursery name is Giordano Gilardelli .Giordano the nurseryman that select s.Jordan,Fire glow,Orange dream,Summer Gold ,Stella rossa,and another not very famous :) another jm total sun exp.in my garden ,O izu,Octopussy,Jane,Crazy krinkle,Summer gold...japonicum ,buergerianum,campestre and relative cultivar have a very good resistence (not campestre Carnival)

9. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Here in Tennessee I've had good luck with Seriyu, Ebony, Hefner's Red, Koto hime, Jordan, Kamagata, Boskoop Glory, and Fireball in roasting sun.