Alaskan weeping cedar....dying!

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by talon4x4, May 21, 2012.

1. talon4x4

talon4x4 Member

Last Spring I purchased an Alaskan Weeping Cedar (or at least that is what I was told it is) and it was doing great, it had a ton of new growth last year. Now over the last several weeks the tree has started to turn yellow and now it is completely yellow. I live in Buffalo, NY and this year we had a very light winter, not much snow at all. The spring has been quite dry so I have been watering the tree enough to keep the soil damp around it. I have attached some pics and I hope to get some ideas on what can be done to save this beautiful tree.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Pics of tree. I have more if needed.
    http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj86/dickbillz3/P5210061.jpg
    http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj86/dickbillz3/P5210062.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

It is (or was!) a Nootka Cypress Cupressus nootkatensis (not a cedar Cedrus, but regrettably often wrongly so called in the nursery trade).

Sad to say, it's dead now. Impossible to determine the cause from the photos, my guess would be some sort of root damage when it was moved; that can take a long time to manifest itself.

3. talon4x4

talon4x4 Member

Thank you for the quick response! I was really hoping it could be saved. It really was my favorite tree. :(

Are there any precautions I can take for the future? I really would like to replace this tree with the same kind.

4. tsugajunkie

tsugajunkie Active Member

Watering is the key. Not too much, but enough. Stick your index finger down to the second knuckle and if its dry or warm, water deeply and then not again until it needs it. Looking at the first picture that plant may have been planted too deep. When planting, look for where the roots start to flare out and put that at soil level. Keep mulch a couple inches away from the trunk.

tj