Acer palmatum 'Issai nishiki'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by mapledia, Apr 18, 2007.

1. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

Issai Nishiki is known for its bark, not for its leaves (even though they are lovely). The bark is prominent and very rough, getting better each year. It's especially noteworthy in winter. I've had this plant for 3 years, and this photo was taken April 3, 2007.

Attached Files:

2. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

Re: Acer palmatum Issai Nishiki

As I mentioned above, the leaves of Issai Nishiki are lovely in addition to the rough bark feature. This photo was taken April 29, 2007 and it shows the spring colors which usually hold well for 4-6 weeks.

Attached Files:

3. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Here are some pictures of two examples from Westonbirt Arboretum, photos taken April this year, that show how extreme the bark feature becomes. To be honest I find the effect to be bordering on ugly, but I can see how a bonsai master might make good use of it.
    Issai1.jpg Issai2.jpg Issai3.jpg
    I bought a young example (supposedly) of this cultivar about nine years ago, but so far it has only developed a slightly rough bark. I guess it is not Issai Nishiki at all, here is a picture taken today:
    Not Issai.jpg

4. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

Is anyone else growing this cultivar, or has experience with it? It's one I would dearly love to add to my collection, but it can be difficult to find and I've also heard that it can be quite sensitive/temperamental... Any feedback on this cultivar would be greatly appreciated!!

5. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I have viewed the several examples at Westonbirt Arboretum a few times times during the last couple of years, they always seem to be suffering from varying degrees of dieback, and I think at least one of them has died and been removed altogether. Of course these trees are pretty much left to fend for themselves and probably do not receive the extra care they need to do well.

I am 99.99% sure the one I purchased is not the correct cultivar.

6. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

Mine was in a pot and placed in what I thought were ideal conditions. It did very well indeed for 5 years and exhibited moderate growth each year, and then it promptly died. I could find no disease or insect problem with the plant, its roots looked just fine, winter conditions weren't colder than prior years, it received sufficient water, drainage, light, etc., but in the winter/spring of 2010 it was clear that it was dead, dead, dead. I wish I knew why, but it's a mystery. I have been told by experienced nurserymen that it's a difficult plant and that I should be happy mine lasted as long as it did. Its bark truly is unusual, so if you do get one, keep it in a location where the bark is visible for all to see.

7. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

Boo :( Well, that pretty much confirms what I've heard/read on this cultivar. A shame, too, it would make an amazing bonsai...

8. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

Yes, it would make a sensational and interesting bonsai. The bark is just unbelievably unusual and always receives comments. The leaves, which normally aren't talked about, are really very pretty and Issai nishiki's foliage is well worth the trouble of getting the cultivation their own right. However, my maple friends have raved at how long mine lasted (their plants didn't last nearly as long), so if you do find one, enjoy it while you can and best of luck to you! Maybe you can set a new record on longevity!
    Happy growing,
    Mapledia

9. Acer palmatum 'Crazy'

Acer palmatum 'Crazy' Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

I purchased one last fall in Oregon. Had a very mild winter here in Atlanta, Ga. Mine leafed out this spring, but noticed the leaves wilting early this spring. Hoped it might throw out some more leaves, but looks like it is completely dieing back.

I still had it in the one gallon it came in, didnt get a chance to repot it. Did have a light frost very late. We were in the 70s for alot of late Feb and March. Could have been the late frost or maybe a watering issue.

But i will try again!!! Looking to get it going for some Bonsai!