Appreciation: Lets see your fall colors!

Discussion in 'Maples' started by rwinktown, Oct 18, 2011.

1. rwinktown

rwinktown Active Member

emery and amazing...great pics!!!! already looking forward to spring! do you guys have any experience with grafting?

2. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

How about a 14 foot tall x 15 foot wide Weeping Japanese maple ...

Attached Files:

3. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

wow!l very nice japanese maples!

4. kbguess

kbguess Rising Contributor 10 Years

First year this one has had much color for me: been great color for at least a month. The twigs were heavily damaged by cicada egg laying this spring, & I don't know what if any impact it had
    shirasawanum 'Garden Glory' 1st photo from Oct 1 the second from today
    GG Oct_1.jpg shirasawanum Garden Glory.jpg

Ogurayama
    ogurayama.jpg

Matzu Kaze
    matsu kaze.jpg

5. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

Here are a few trees. I look forward to spring

Attached Files:

• 185.jpg
      185.jpg
      File size:
      285.7 KB
      Views:
  6. Customfox

Customfox Member

Here's a couple of pictures of my (I think) Baldsmith. The summer color is nothing to write home about because it's planted in a shaded north facing location. However, it really put on a fall show for us this year. The first picture was taken about two weeks ago the second picture was taken yesterday between rain storms.

Attached Files:

7. Kanuni

Kanuni Active Member

Many of you have really wonderful trees that I can only dream of right now so the photo I will post is nothing compared to the ones posted in this thread. But I am posting it because I was quite surprised and happy with the performance of this cultivar (Inaba Shidare) in my climate. I am located in Izmir, Turkey (see photo below for location) and my climate is quite hot for JM's, so most of my JM's look like the first photo even in half shade, but this Inaba Shidare really surprised me despite the fact that it remained always in full sun with temperatures of + 100F many days. It had minimal leaf burn and it retained its colour well into late summer. With fall, its colour is turning into a very nice red.

Attached Files:

8. amazingmaples

here is a seedling with some of the best orange fall color

Attached Files:

• 020.jpg
      020.jpg
      File size:
      313.9 KB
      Views:
  9. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Acer japonicum 'Aconitifolium' is one of my favorite fall specimens. It’s my understanding the Japanese name 'Maiku-jaku' translates as "Dancing Peacock", because when the fall wind blows the leaves are supposed to resemble a dancing peacock. After seeing the fall colors of my tree, I now understand why.

Attached Files:

10. rwinktown

rwinktown Active Member

here are just a few, this is basically what is left in the yard, i am a bit late on posting the pics...

Attached Files:

11. rwinktown

rwinktown Active Member

frosty morning beni maikio
    second pic i thought was a cool pic so i threw it in there haha

Attached Files:

12. Neko

Neko Member

First post greetings from New Westminster, BC.

Some of my collection of Japanese Maples from our garden. I just bought a nice new camera as well, so I may take out my hobby on the forum...

Bloodgood

[​IMG]

Hogyoku

[​IMG]

both together in front garden by pond

[​IMG]

13. Neko

Neko Member

Emperor and Inabe Shidare (side garden)

[​IMG]

edit: I'm guessing I can't embed images until I'm more established ? And my first post greeting is missing already ?

14. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Welcome Neko. The spam filter has been a little strict on new members recently, had to manually approve the first post. Should be good now.

You can only embed the photos if you upload them to the UBCBG server. Can either upload them direct from your computer/device or from photobucket etc. See here if you need more details: How to Attach Photos and other files

15. solidago

solidago Member

16. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

Japanese maple I pruned last spring, photographed a few weeks ago. This is a Weeping Japanese Maple

Attached Files:

17. Thumblessprimate

Thumblessprimate Member

That's one of the best looking weeping dissectums I've ever seen. How old is that, and what cultivar might that be?

18. rwinktown

rwinktown Active Member

nice pictures everyone! ill start another thread for spring!!!!!!

19. JerryRaack

JerryRaack Active Member

In my garden, this Acer japonicum simply doesn't get any better than this in color. Enjoy (pictures taken Oct 14, 2012). This is why I grow this plant. Simply spectacular. Most of the rest of my Japanese Maples haven't finished coloring up yet at all.

Attached Files:

20. 17 Maples

17 Maples Active Member

Jerry is your Maple varietal named ? nice backdrop of evergreens to show of the Maples second bloom. My 17 Japanese Maples are just happy still in dark reds and greens they are a tad late on colouring up.

21. rwinktown

rwinktown Active Member

That is a good looking maple!

22. AdamBorzy

AdamBorzy Member

Never seen anything green... posting one for all to see...

[​IMG]

23. amazingmaples

Here are couple trees in their fall color

Attached Files:

24. JerryRaack

JerryRaack Active Member

Amazing Maples: GREAT color. How about telling us what each of the plants are in the pictures? I'm guessing the first is Acer p. Geisha Gone Wild or Shiraz, and the second maybe is Acer p. d. Viridis or Orangeola. No guess on the 3rd. But, hey, I'm probably wrong on the first 2 as well!

By the way, the Acer japonicum that I provided pictures of is NOT a named cultivar. It is a selected seedling from a batch of over 100 that I saw growing at Klyn Nursery in Perry, Ohio. I was a buyer for about 10 years for a local retail nursery and had access to a number of wholesale nurseries. I went to Klyn's in October of 2009 and spotted this tree there, and it stood out among hundreds of Acer japonicum as the most colorful. It continues to this day to be the best. Maybe I'll take some cuttings this winter and gets some grafts started.

Jerry

25. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Hi Jerry,

I got my Acer japonicum from Klyn too. It has the best fall color like yours and the tree puts on a new show each day in fall, always changing every day, getting even better than the day before all the way up to peak. It starts with a splash of purple, then reds, orange, pinks, and yellows. The day before all the leaves drop, an abundance of yellow comes on in place of all the colors with the exception of reds on the last day, then leaves drop.

When I saw your tree I thought it might have come from Klyn, because it was so unique like mine. I have been out there in the fall and all their Acer japonicum's are nice, but there are only a few that look like yours and my tree. They go fast and sometimes the owner and staff buy them, before anyone else gets a chance to buy. Especially when the fall color is very special and unique.

If you are ever in the area, feel free to stop by and see my garden. I live close to where rt2 and 90 split, about 25 minutes west of Klynn.