Please help ID this beautiful alien type flower

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by mewbie, Jul 14, 2011.

1. mewbie

mewbie Member

I purchased at an outdoor market some corkscrew like seed pods (un-labled, to use as a spice), having no idea what they were, thinking I could find the answer on google.
    So far thee only progress I have made is finding an image of it is here: http://myturksandcaicosblog.com/?p=1297 (3rd image is the seed pod). On this page they state the name is "Blind Eye Bush". On further searching I haven't been able to find any information on a plant with that name.

After seeing the gorgeous alien like flower in the images I can't stop thinking about it :D
    I've even posted/written to the blog writer of the article with help ID'n; no reply.

Thank you :D !

PS the seed pods that I have are an average 1 1/2 " / 35mm in length

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  2. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

Helicteres jamaicensis

3. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Mewbie, if those aren't your photos, please remove them but leave the link - they're a copyright issue.

This said, I agree with Saltcedar - that's Helicteres jamaicensis.

4. mewbie

mewbie Member

Thank you saltcedar, fantastic! Not sure if you just knew that or did a better search term than I. After looking at more Helicteres images I believe I have 'Helicteres Isora' as my seed pods look exactly like them http://www.mpbd.info/plants/helicteres-isora.php
    Sadly not the white alien male arm :D

Iorax - images are not mine so I removed them (leaving link), thanks, understand. At first I didn't want to attach them since they are not mine, but then I read the sticky topic that it is best to have images in post.

Very happy to have found this forum

Just a note about the seeds - these are the most difficult seeds I have come across to remove from the pods. I read to snip the ends off then shake to remove. That will only remove 1 seed per tube at the most - where the cut was made, as they are packed in tight and the next seed is stuck in the twist.
    The seed pod consist of 4 twisted tubes filled with the seeds that look like little chips of misshapen-ed dark brown rectangles.
    Basically the pod and seeds are tasteless, and it is like chewing on a piece of wood :D

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  5. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Mewbie, have you tried twisting the pods in the opposite direction of the spiral? That should open them fairly easily along the lines of the spiral, and release the seeds without much effort or frustration.

6. mewbie

mewbie Member

lorax thank you for the suggestion. Yes, that is how I open them. But because each tube remains slightly twisted/curved and the tube itself is still sealed, the seeds don't readily drop out.
    It's one tough pod :D
    I have attached an image with an untwisted pod, seeds, and closed pod for curiosity sake.

lorax something for your search ;) http://www.treknature.com/gallery/photo125806.htm

Thanks again!

Attached Files:

7. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Thanks for mentioning that. I've added to the first posting in the Image Attachments vs. Links to Images thread a comment to point out that we're talking about the poster's own photos or ones that are licensed for sharing. I've also added comments to this effect in two of the threads in the How to Use the Forums forum.