Aliette

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Gomero, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

The other day a local, general purpose, nurseryman claimed that he had been successful dealing with Verticillium in maples with a Bayer systemic fungicide Aliette . I told him I did not believe it would have an effect and, as a confirmation of this, Verticillium is not in the list provided by Bayer of pests controlled by this product.
    Notwithstanding this, I have never tried it out myself with maples (it is highly effective against Phytophthora in rhodies) and was wondering if anybody has?

Gomero

2. Gomero

3. bigjohn33

bigjohn33 Active Member

Hi gomero
    I use ailette every year, when i have time!
    I also use it when i think That one of m'y Maple is ill
    I got over 120 acers since 7 years
    I only lost one !
    It was the nursery Adeline who told me to use it in a préventive way once in a year
    At That Time, i was a really young beginning gardenner
    Since That Time i continue to use it
    It seems to work really well
    I think That my poor acid sandy soil is a good point too
    Growth rate is slow but my maples look healthy!

4. Gomero

I would never follow this advice since the fungicide will eliminate all fungi, good and bad. In particular the highly beneficial mycorrhizal fungi will not be able to develop.

Gomero

5. Houzi

Houzi Active Member 10 Years

Still interesting though Gomero,I noticed reading deeper through your link(I think I read it correct) that it can be used as foliage spray for a couple of psuedomonas,including the one that makes water freeze at higher temp.thus damaging plants in early spring.

6. Gomero

7. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Fostyl-Al (Aliette) is a must for conifers, especially junipers, before bud-break.

For Acer palmatum, diluted lime sulphur at the end of the winter, and "Bouillie bordelaise" in the spring and if need be, throughout the summer, thet's what works best for me.

8. jwsandal

jwsandal Active Member

Gomero- I started using Aliette last year 2010 after some research and after losing about 1/3 of my 1 years grafts to sudden root rot and wilt. Since then and after the fact, the culprit was diagnosed as phytophthora by Auburn Univerity and they suggested monthly foliage application with Aliette and monthly soil drenches with another fungicide called Subdue for the spring months. I have only used Aliette this year as I could not afford the Subdue and only lost 5 to sudden wilt. I have mostly used it foliarly but I have 2 larger maples (Matsukaze and Momenshide) I have drenched because they came out weak and with some dieback and both are doing fine, at least for now. I have never had verticilium diagnosed so I dont know if i have it or if it is being addressed by my use of Aliette. Either way I think it is worth the time and money and give it (Aliette) some credit for the limited loss in my new grafts this spring 2011.

Also, FYI, I contacted Bayer by email to get info about that product for use on Japanese Maples and got absolutely no reply. Anyway, a disapointment and a surprise.

9. katsura

katsura Active Member 10 Years

great posts! very helpful
    I have no experience with Aliette but I intend now to look into it.
    If it would help reduce seedling loss over their 1st winter outside, I
    would love it.
    Thanks for the topic and posts, Gomero et als.

10. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Yes, an interesting topic. Like Samuel, M. Adeline recommended use of an Aliette drench for a shirasawanum Aureum he had sold me. I must say I was a bit put off because he remotely and immediately diagnosed phytophthora from my description. Also like Samuel I was a beginner at the time, and followed instructions -- but to no avail, the tree died. In retrospect I think it simply died of being too wet.

I agree that systematic and regular treatments with Aliette seems like a nuclear solution.

I don't remember the instructions allowing for foliar applications, but my experience was back in something like 2003, when the product I think was quite new. As I try and incorporate mycchorizae in potting mix I'd be loath to drench young seedlings, but a foliar application might be interesting. I lose a pretty good percentage of seedlings the first winter out.

Houzi, can you tell us the passage that speaks about pseudomonas? That would be particularly interesting, I have more damage from that than anything else.

-E

11. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

re pseudomonas:
    Ice-nucleating bacteria is included in the list of controlled pests, which I would infer to mean Pseudomonas syringae, but am puzzled as to why the information does not say so specifically.

12. Houzi

Houzi Active Member 10 Years

Emery,I just clicked on the link 'Labels/MDSD'....then chose another link 'Aliette WDG Fungicide Label4b'...then scrolled down quite a way...this gave a list of all the Phytophthora and others treated and application methods/dosages,although seemingly on an agricultural scale...also listed Pseudomonas syringae amongst others.However thinking about it a foliage spray isn't much use if there's no foliage as in winter.I wonder if it could be applied just before leaves turn in autumn as prevention or in spring after the event?

13. Gomero

My understanding is that its effect in bacteria also comes from drenching since it is systemic

Gomero

14. cafernan

cafernan Active Member

Is not supposed for micorrhyzae, to prevent the attack of fungal disease?

15. Gomero

The mycorrhizal fungi are 'nice' bugs while the Verticillium fungi are 'bad' bugs. The theory is that by promoting the strong presence of nice ones the bad will be crowded out.

Gomero

16. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

i agree!another my solutions are not "clean"the garden like one medical center, not cut every wild grass...

17. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

Thread resurrection...

Since I am having problems with several of my maples this spring, and have lost some with a good chance of losing more, the Aliette and Subdue are now definitely piquing my interest. Where would I find these products? I'm guessing not at a local nursery...