giant sequoias

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by norain, May 16, 2011.

1. norain

norain Member

my trees are about 3to 4 inches tall now. i sure notice they have slowed down a lot in thier growing .ive kept them inside all winter and i put them outside in mild sunlight and it appears to make the branch ends a darker green then the rest of the tree .i bring them in every after noon. no out side growing here till may long weekend. im probley going to keep them inside 1 more yr before planting any out side .i want to make sure they are really healthy before chancing them dieing .too much waiting to let them die because i transplanted them too soon.

2. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

Do you have them under grow lights?

Otherwise the outdoors might be a better environment. Unless your area lacks day length.

Considering where they reproduce naturally, they are rather durable trees.

3. norain

norain Member

thankyou for your replies mario ..

ive tried grow lights in the winter .just small tube lites. not the full spectrum 220volt grow lites like the pot growers use here there kind of exspensive to power every day.and sequoias arent really a cash crop. lol how ever they sure could be if a guy could get about 5000 6" trees .but its more of a hobby and love for the tree has me doing it.im putting the trays out side every morning right now its still kinda rainy off and on with the odd hot day .im trying to get them climatized from a steady 72 degreas [ house] .but there is still a outside chance of frost for the next 2 weeks .i had lost my very first batch after a lot of work so dont want to chance loseing the 200 trees i have left. i notice everyone that comes to my house wants a couple of them.wish i had enough to sell or give away .but i want to to plant them all over in my area.i havent lost my straw berry plants in yrs so im quite confident the trees will take off if i get them to be around 12"tall. thanks agin for your reply md sure is nice to be able to talk to someone with a mutual interest. i seen your attachments i was most certainly mistaken when i advised one of the other comunity members to ask jim hes more the exspert . i appoligize you certainly have the credentials to be the exspert.
    thanks again gene.

gene.

Last edited: May 17, 2011