Identification: Korean Hill Cherry? Late blooming, single white, narrow petals, corymbose

Discussion in 'Ornamental Cherries' started by Dingren, Apr 22, 2011.

1. Dingren

Dingren Active Member VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Is this Pandora or Yama-zakura?

On 7251 Minoru Blvd, we saw five trees in full bloom. They stand upright, spreading and pretty high on their rootstock. Single flowers, mostly white with very, very faint pink tint on the edge of some of the flowers. (We counted six petals on a few flowers.) And there are apparent gaps between petals. Some fine hair inside the red bract. Small leaves, bronze-green in color appear with the flower. All together, these trees show many of the characteristics of Pandora. But the time is much too late for Pandora, isn’t it? If not Pandora, then what is it?

Map Link

Attached Files:

2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Re: What cherry? Late blooming, single white, narrow petals, corymbose

I agree that 'Pandora' stopped blooming a long time ago (in cherry season time), having opened up before 'Somei-yoshino' before the end of March. The narrow petals don't look like Yama-zakura to me.

3. Dingren

Re: Richmond

Is this Pandora?

More photos for the tree shape.

Attached Files:

4. wcutler

Maybe you guys live in a time warp. Are they fragrant? And if you have to go back to sniff them, can you get the size of the blossoms? And a leaf photo, if any leaves are open yet.

5. wcutler

While you're getting a leaf photo, see if the sepals are curling back. Oh, and a photo showing whether the inflorescence is a corymb or an umbel. The tree shape and blossoms make me think it could be some sort of sweet cherry cultivar, but if they're corymbs, then it would not be.

6. Dingren

These five cherries are still in blooming. We find there are fine hairs on leaves, emerging bronze with flowers and soon turning to green. The flowers are up to 3cm across, in 3 to 4-flowered corymbs. The five pointed sepals do not curl back. No fragrant detected.

Attached Files:

7. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Not P. avium.

8. wcutler

Not umbels, so not O-yama-zakura (P. sargentii) either. How hairy do the stems and leaves of Korean Hill Cherry (P. serrulata var. pubescens) have to be? That's supposed to have a late flowering season and have compact corymbs with four to six flowers. That's the only photo I can find with the red calyxes and bud scales, or are those a red herring (ha-ha) and not characteristic of anything? There's also P. serrulata var. hupehensis, described on an England's Natural History Museum page:
    P. serrulata var. hupehensis Ingram

• Crown spreading
    • Young growth red-brown
    • Leaves glabrous, serrate. Petiole glabrous
    I haven't seen a photo with narrow petals like the Richmond trees, though.

9. wcutler

On the other hand, here are some photos from Digital Botanical Garden (sigesplants.chicappa.jp), which they're calling Cerasus jamasakura var. Jamasakura, that in petal shape and colouring look remarkably like the ones posted here. Unfortunately, other cultivar photos on that site don't always seem to match photos in my books, but if you click the links at the bottom of the page, the cherry and cherry1 links have a lot of detailed text and photos.

Too bad they don't seem to do Korean Hill Cherry.

10. wcutler

11. wcutler

Nadia wrote me about this West End tree in bloom (right next to a cultivar she wanted to see but I forgot to tell her about). I think it's Korean hill cherry, though the buds are sticky so I'm not confident that it's not P. sargentii. It has the narrow petals of 'Pandora', which Ding-ren mentioned about her Korean hill cherry trees that started this thread, and which I noticed on the sargentii in the UBC garden. But the 'Rancho' in this area have only three flowers remaining per tree, so I think it's too late for sargentii. And there are hairs on the flower and leaf pedicels (on the uppermost pedicel in the third photo, if not the others).
    20120418_CarderoDavieLane_KoreanHill_Cutler_P1210359.jpg 20120418_CarderoDavieLane_KoreanHill_Cutler_P1210365.jpg 20120418_CarderoDavieLane_KoreanHill_Cutler_P1210361.jpg 20120418_CarderoDavieLane_KoreanHill_Cutler_P1210384.jpg

Do these show "hardly any awns", which Kuitert (Japanese Flowering Cherries) says is characteristic of P. spontanea var. pubescens (Korean mountain cherry)?
    20120418_CarderoDavieLane_KoreanHill_Cutler_P1210383c.jpg 20120418_CarderoDavieLane_KoreanHill_Cutler_P1210385c.jpg