Acer palmatum 'Hagoromo'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Elmore, Apr 16, 2004.

1. Elmore

Elmore Active Member 10 Years

Here is a lttle 1g Acer palmatum 'Hagoromo'. Photo made 4-14-04.

Attached Files:

2. webwolf

webwolf Active Member 10 Years

Huge 4 meter Hagoromo in spring

Attached Files:

3. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

This 'Hagoromo' at Westonbirt Arboretum is listed as the British champion at 15m high and 42cm trunk diameter in 2009:

hagoromo1.jpg hagoromo4.jpg

The foliage in the interior of the tree displays the typical 'Hagoromo' type leaf form, as seen in the next picture (hagoromo 2), but the leaves all around the outside of the canopy are more like a normal palmatum shape, with some weird three lobed leaves also, see photo (hagoromo 3). I don't know how likely this is to be a transient phenomenon or some kind of permanent reversion.

hagoromo2.jpg hagoromo3.jpg

4. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Maf,

That's kind of unusual for hagoromo and may indicate, as you say, some sort of 'reversion'. I have never seen that in mine which is 10 years old.

I notice that nobody has posted fall colors for this cultivar, which are indeed beautiful, so I add a couple from las year since this year the trees have not yet started to change in my garden.

Gomero

Attached Files:

5. mattlwfowler

mattlwfowler Active Member Maple Society

I have observed this as well, and after grafting this "reversion", the graft returned primarily to normal hagoromo leaf type. Perhaps it is due to some genetic un-stability or a juvenile/mature foliage situation.

6. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I was wondering the same thing, or more specifically could it be the result of a growth spurt? Further investigation leads me to believe that (at least) two large trees have been removed from the area immediately to the south of the pictured 'Hagoromo', roughly in the area where the bench sits. Maybe the increased light levels and decreased competition for water has caused a growth spurt and production of juvenile foliage on the outer portions of the plant?

7. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

This is my Acer palmatum ' Hagoromo '. Showing the wonderful colours it produces in the Spring in my garden.
    This is listed as the Maple Society 'Sessilifolium Group 15'. It has a very distinct shape to its leaves with no petioles.

Attached Files:

8. Acerholic

13th May 2021 and my lovely Hagoromo is no more. So sad as it was looking lovely in 2020.

9. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

So sad, did it even start leafing out?

10. Acerholic

Hi Luke, no not at all. It was 6ft tall and doing well. But I think the harsh cold March and April did for it sadly.

11. Luke’s Maples

6ft tall and just dies.... with all the love and protection you give them. Doesn’t sound right to me. For me, and with no disrespect intended, I think the Hagaromo’s are the least attractive of all cultivars hence I have never lusted after one.

Still, this is a sad loss and must have been with you for a number of years to be of that size. I’m sorry for your loss Derek :-(

12. Luke’s Maples

The same thing will probably happen with my Griseum. Not one that I’m overly keen on but when one came up at a decent price at a local garden centre I thought ‘what the hell’ I just hope it lasts long enough for me to see that exquisite brown curling flakey bark.

13. Acerholic

Thanks Luke for the kind words. You just never know with maples. Remember what Charlie said, " Sometimes trees die". Tbh you have to be very philosophical with this hobby. You win a lot, but there will be losses.

Luke’s Maples likes this.
  14. Acerholic

Ahhh Griseum, the tree that makes one worry every Spring when it's so late in leafing out. But I bet you have a good one and it will go on and on and on, lol. You wait until Autumn, you will fall in love with those fiery reds.

Luke’s Maples likes this.
  15. Acerholic

16th May 2021and here is my new replacement for my recently deceased Hagoromo.
    It looks healthy, so we will see how it goes.
    Hagoromo 228.JPG

16. Acerholic

4th June 2021 and here is an update on my new Hagoromo. It's doing very well tbh.
    Hagoromo 251.JPG

17. Acerholic

8th April 2022 and a nice steady start for my Hagoromo. I'm quite happy about this, as the late Sring frosts we suffer these days can hit the leaves on this one.
    Hagoromo April rain 2022.JPG

AlainK and Xi-feng like this.
  18. Acerholic

5th May 2022 and all the craziness of leaf of my Hagoromo is now here.
    Hagoromo May 5th 2022.JPG

D97x7 likes this.
  19. Acerholic

25th May 2022 and I wanted to show that this can be quite an untidy looking maple going into Summer. But it has qualities that are often overlooked during this time up to Autumn.
    Hagoromo 25th May 2022.JPG

AlainK and D97x7 like this.
  20. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

'Hagoromo', or 'Beni Hagoromo' are definitely a must in a maple collection. Very few cultivars have this kind of feathery leaves.

They're quite vigourous, I'll have to prune my two 'Beni Hagoromo' : I'll try air-layering the top parts I think, and see how they behave on their own roots if it's successful.

21. Acerholic

8th June 2022 and as this was talked about yesterday on the forum, here are two photos of my Hagoromo enjoying this early Summer weather.
    Hagoromo 8th June 2022.JPG Hagoromo 8th June 2022 (2).JPG

D97x7 likes this.
  22. Acerholic

20th May 2023 and keeping topical with others on the Spring 23 thread. Here is my Hagoromo this morning.
    PXL_20230520_093221517.jpg

AlainK likes this.