Identification: Mushrooms I picked in the north Okanagan

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by bcboy, Sep 19, 2010.

1. bcboy

bcboy Member

Well I started in the back yard, than the cemetery and ended up in the foothills.
    I have 4 mushroom book but this is my first year so your help is needed since I am a newbie. Thanks for your help.
    Meadow mushroom, Agaricus campestris?
    Agaricus californicus?
    Shaggy Mane, Coprinus comatus. I know that one.
    Short-Stemmed Slippery Jack, Suillus luteus?
    Tricholoma pessundatum?
    Sweating mushroom, Clitocybe dealbata?, Mealy Funnel, Clitocybe vibecina?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  2. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Greetings BCBoy

1. I agree Suillus. I suggest noting what trees were proximate as they tend to be relate to specific species. (re 013)

2. Not sure, but note that Tricholomas have notched gills (gills dip/notch before the stem) (re008)

3. From the photo, it looks like perhaps this has pink spores? Can you tell the spore colour of this one? Any distinct smells? On wood or ground? (re 009)

4. I too think Coprinus comatus, but you would know for sure in handling it and seeing its deliquescing neighbours. (re 007)

5.-8. Agaricus ID can be helped by knowing the taste (taste a bit and spit it out); whether bandaids, almonds or mushroom flavour. Also, whether you have yellow staining on cap or stem. (re: 004,005,012,006)

Two online regional resources that may be helpful:

Matchmaker lets you input all the characters you know of your specimen, then gives you a list of possibilities based on the percentage tolerance you choose.

The Key to Keys lets you start from zero and key it out to groups, genera then species -http://www.svims.ca/council/Key_to.htm#nKey

hope that is helpful,
    frog

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  3. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

pic 0004 and 0005 are of an Agaricus , possibly campestris, in the foreground and and a different one in the background. 0012 and 0006 look like Agaricus arvensis - do they smell like almonds? In the future, please limit postings to one or two species. too many pics gets confusing, e.g. i have no clue which you thought were Clitocybe dealbata. 0013 is a Suillus, hard to do species from your pic. 0007 is the shaggy mane.

4. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

And I say Hebeloma is a possibility on 0009. any odors on this one?

5. bcboy

bcboy Member

Thank for all the help Frog.

Thanks-you MycoRob :^).

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2010