Acer palmatum 'Bi hoo'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Gomero, Sep 21, 2005.

1. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Well Michael is doing all this work posting so many nice cultivars, let me give a hand ;o).

This cultivar, Bi hoo, is an introduction by ganshuku /masayoshi in 1993, however I do not know the lineage. I have seen the name also translated as Bihou or Bi fo.
    Its main interest seem to be the bark colour: orange-yellow, but I also find the leaves to have nice yellow tones in late summer (pics taken first week of September). It is a very vigorous plant and, where I bought mine, I saw 4 year old specimens more than 2 meters high

Attached Files:

2. mjh1676

mjh1676 Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Selected seedling from Acer palmatum 'Sango kaku'? The leaves give that impression.

If you view the index page for Ganshuku, you will find the name 'Bihou'. If you click the link, you will find the spelling 'Bi fo'. Gomero, looks like you have a spelling that was translated phoenitically.

Use this link: http://ganshuku.cool.ne.jp/23_1engei_a.html

Looks like Ganshuku has some serious name spelling problems. Gosh, I can't wait for these plants to make it to the USA. Maybe we can add a few more spellings. I suspect you have one of the first introductions of this plant and the name is already screwed up. Nice plant though!

Michael

Last edited: Sep 21, 2005
  3. Hello
    i am the importerfor acer palmatum bi hoo is it the real spelling
    ttranslation from japanse ideogram Kanji is a diificult way
    I have ask mr masayaoshi about and a said this will the best spelling bi hoo and phoenetic you said " bi hou"
    this new cultivar is discover from a seedling from an japanese maple amateur
    mr Masayoshi take long time to seach for japanese maple and if mispelling in the website , i told him sometimes to change the name.

enjoy bi hoo it is the best with sango kaki in winter time
    this cultivar is under license for Europe I have buy it in japan fronm 2003

sincerely Guy maillot
    Ps mr Gomero buy it from my nursery in last autumn
    enclosed few pictures

4. namesbear

namesbear Member

I never believed in love at first sight until I saw this maple, Does anybody know where I can get one? I have been searching the internet to no avail, but does anybody in america have one, and where did they obtain it? What about Maillot guy. thank you

5. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

clik Maillot erables ,(links DB on top page) is an nursery in France U.E.

6. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

As far as I know Guy Maillot will not be able to ship to the US. If you have a friend in EU coming over they could potentially carry a small plant? Perhaps Mr. Maillot will have another idea. I have not seen this maple except in his selection in the west.

I should probably order one, but it looks delicate... ;)

-E

7. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

winter bark colours!

Attached Files:

8. Poetry to Burn

Poetry to Burn Active Member

This one deserves a spot on the "checklist", I'm serious.

One year graft, photo today.

Attached Files:

9. mattlwfowler

mattlwfowler Active Member Maple Society

Mine showing its winter color just before bud break. Definitely a sight to see. The bark has more of a "soft" look that is difficult describe. It almost looks artificial.

Lets just hope the pseudomonas don't get it as bad as Sango kaku.

Attached Files:

10. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Bi hoo is in the checklist, but not with the spelling Bihou. (Which the French would probably sell as Bijou!)

Bi ho (with a circumflex over the 'o', which I don't know how to do on this computer) is listed as the correct name, credited to Nakajima. Bi hoo is listed as a synonym from the DVM 2006 catalogue.

-E

11. winterhaven

winterhaven Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

I'm drooling over this one. I hope you lucky owners will please keep us posted with incremental photos as it develops.

12. winterhaven

mattlwfowler, Poetry to Burn,

How did you get one in America? How do I get one?

13. NJACER

NJACER Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

winterhaven,

A.p. 'Bi hoo' was introduced into the US market this year by All Things Acer Nursery in TN. This is a new maple nursery by Don Shadow and Fred Hooks. The introduced five new cultivars from Japan this year and have more coming. There will be a least one 1 Gal in the silent auction at my spring maple gathering this Saturday. Fred Hooks is also coming to the gathering and said he will have some other suprises.

Ed

14. winterhaven

OMG - Can I bid from afar? I suspect not. :(

I wanna go, too!

Bo hoo I want a Bi hoo!

You know, my hubby does have some airline miles left. He'd kill me if I even asked. I wanna go, I wanna go. I'll ask.

Update: I asked, he laughed and rolled his eyes. Sigh.

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  15. winterhaven

16. Poetry to Burn

Poetry to Burn Active Member

Tough one on the Camelia Forest tree. Cam Forest has been as excellent plant source for me.

Maybe wait for next year Winter. Sounds high but $100 for a 2gal is not as ridiculous as what i paid for "Fairy Hair' when it was first available.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2009
  17. timnichols

timnichols Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Love the look of this tree, but after seeing so many of these guys catch pseudomonas, this guy is staying in the greenhouse.

Attached Files:

18. winterhaven

Tim, could you elaborate on this?

Or has anyone else struggled with keeping this tree healthy?

And what about coloration as it ages - is it holding on the whole tree or just the newer branches?

I'd love to hear anyone who has been growing this tree for a little while chime it about their experiences.

19. mattlwfowler

I have seen a little psuedomonas damage on my bi hou too, but it has been in heavy exposure in order for me to test out its coloration. I will be treating all of my coral barks with copper soon after this hard freeze we are having, especially after such an extended summer. I have seen serious psuedomonas damage on sango kaku, beni kawa, and japanese sunrise but only minor damage on bi hou so far. However, I don't see any reason to think bi hou will be any easier to keep clean than the others of the group.

Bi hou seems to age to a pale yellow on about 4 year old wood (after the orange fades from new new growth), but I have only had mine a couple of years so I can't say for sure how long it will last. At the moment my bi hou is the brightest, showiest coral bark member I own, with fjellheim coming in a slightly distant second. The others are a bit more sheltered in the summer, but all get intense winter sun from early morning to mid afternoon. It appears bi hou stands out much better against mulched and green areas than its reddish counterparts, but the reds will still be more impressive against light browns and whites.

20. timnichols

timnichols Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

After talking with certain individuals that have tested the fungus that is found on 'Bihou' it is not actually pseudomonas that is commonly found. It just looks like it. It is actually alternaria. Generally pseudomonas causes the black spotting on the tips of the plants, while alternaria causes blackening anywhere and everywhere. The effect of this fungus seems to be similar to pseudomonas, as it turns brown, almost dead looking, appearing to be damaged wood.

There is no other Japanese maple that provides this intense color to the garden like Bihou. I have now seen plenty of great looking specimens outdoors now and am not as scared of this tree as I once was. This tree deserves a chance in any landscape.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  21. mattlwfowler

Interesting information, thanks for sharing.

22. winterhaven

Thank you, both.

Edit: my new baby. Thank you, Charlie.

Attached Files:

• 076.jpg
      076.jpg
      File size:
      174.5 KB
      Views:
    • 075.jpg
      075.jpg
      File size:
      226.1 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
  23. tsukushigata

tsukushigata Member

24. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

Re: Acer palmatum 'Bihou

I find the winter color of the tree to be great. It adds some brightness to the dark days. These photos were taken at 3PM on a rainy december day without a flash. The tree stands about 6' tall. The fall leaf color is also very nice.

Attached Files:

25. Houzi

Houzi Active Member 10 Years

This one's been very slow coming to UK,still only 3 web results...surprised really as it's quite an eyecatching plant and stands out when amongst others.