Orange, vined fruit (nonclustered), passion fruit-like seeds.

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Meanjuice, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Meanjuice

Meanjuice Member

Friend and I found this vined, round plant strewn over a branch in San Marcos, TX...it was the only batch on that tree so it looked as if it didn't belong to the tree or general area, like someone bought it at the grocery and threw it there (which I doubt bc 1) it's flourished there for days in this heat 2) there aren't any similar at the groceries from what I've seen).

Each fruit branched into its own vine, unlike hollies/grapes that cluster from the stem. They looked like bright red cherry tomatoes from the car...and unlike the whole-peppercorn-weensy, red berries typical on the ground here. Anyone have any idea..or, if it's unusual for the area? The area houses lots of prickly pears. :)

Attached Files:

2. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

Any pictures of the leaves available?

3. treesrgood

treesrgood Member

If you hadn't cut them in half I would have guessed cherry tomatoes :) Can you take a picture of the branch and leaves where you found them?

4. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Maybe Passiflora foetida?

5. Meanjuice

Meanjuice Member

No, sorry :/ I thought," damn", when we returned to her apartment! It would've been smarter to get more of the specimen. The vines were pretty straight growing, like, in pumpkin patches..not so curled as in grapes. Almost as thick as pencils by 3/4.

But I'll see if her dad can return to the spot bc he lives nearby.

Doesn't fit the shoe :/ It wasn't attached to such a bristley crown http://www.carnivorousplants.org/gallery/images_br/pfoet04.jpg

As in my photos, the seeds were more arranged than that http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_c3QO1YXtcyk/Sau7uLLsZjI/AAAAAAAACMU/zF2y4-4iAik/s400/Buahsusu+5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2010
  6. Vozrozhdeniye

Vozrozhdeniye Member

Hey, so, I'm the friend.

The fruit is actually a bright orange (the color in the picture is not very well-portrayed).. I mean really, bright neon red-orange. It smells a bit like a tomato inside.

Also I don't recall there being any leaves on the vines?

Oh wait... the leaves in the suggested link look like those on the vines.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010